Translators and interpreters expected to be one of the 15 fastest growing occupations in the nation, according to the Department of Labor

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Translators and interpreters expected to be one of the 15 fastest growing occupations in the nation, according to the Department of Labor".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:20
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes, I agree with that, Oct 31, 2013

but we should take into consideration that there were very few interpreters and translators in the past, in the United States -- even like 20 years ago within the rage of 5,000-20,000 that this should be taken into consideration while taking about growth. No, there are about 100,000 if I am not mistake -- for 316 ml people in the US, and this is considered a big growth.20,000 to 100,000 over ten years, more or less. Most other professions are counted in millions.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 22:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't worry folks Nov 1, 2013

A large chunk of these is bound to consist of non-native intruders and another capacious swathe will simply be inept. There should still be room for "real" translators and true professionals.

in·trud·er
/inˈtro͞odər/
noun
noun: intruder; plural noun: intruders1. a person who intrudes (in this case, I use the term to refer to people who encroach upon what I consider to be my "turf" or territory by offering their services translating into English when it is pa
... See more
A large chunk of these is bound to consist of non-native intruders and another capacious swathe will simply be inept. There should still be room for "real" translators and true professionals.

in·trud·er
/inˈtro͞odər/
noun
noun: intruder; plural noun: intruders1. a person who intrudes (in this case, I use the term to refer to people who encroach upon what I consider to be my "turf" or territory by offering their services translating into English when it is patently not their first language).

synonyms: trespasser, interloper, invader, infiltrator...

[Edited at 2013-11-01 11:35 GMT]
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
We don't have "non-native intruders", whatever that may Nov 1, 2013

mean, in the United States a translators or interpreters. I don't think the term exists here, in fact unless you are a part of some "nativist" klan, or KKK, perhaps. I think this article was related to the situation in the United States. If not for some multicultural people, the situation in the translation industry would have been quite dire in the strictly monolingual environments.

[Edited at 2013-11-01 11:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-11-01 11:05 GMT]

Marie Benzo
Marie Benzo  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
Spanish to English
+ ...
This occupation is becoming a need, though still considered a "luxury" service Nov 2, 2013

In my country, the Dominican Republic, Spanish is the official language. However, there are British as well as American schools.
So, bilingual education is available; yet, Translation as well as Interpretation as professional occupations are a need that many still consider a luxury service even profession. In countries such as mine, that are so favored by foreign investment and Free Trade Agreements, communicating in other languages is a MUST. Every day, within this globalization process th
... See more
In my country, the Dominican Republic, Spanish is the official language. However, there are British as well as American schools.
So, bilingual education is available; yet, Translation as well as Interpretation as professional occupations are a need that many still consider a luxury service even profession. In countries such as mine, that are so favored by foreign investment and Free Trade Agreements, communicating in other languages is a MUST. Every day, within this globalization process that all nations are entering, and evolving within, the need to communicate clearly becomes more evident. Unfortunately, still despite modern times, there are many whom remain very close-minded as to the importance this occupation has. Being a translator does not necessarily mean you are an interpreter; being an interpreter does not indicate you can be a translator, and being bilingual NEVER means you can be either one. It requires a special disposition in order to practice this occupation.
Collapse

Tatty
Tatty  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Non-qualified /unqualified practitioners Nov 7, 2013

is the standard translation for "intruso", which may make his argument clearer.

I would agree with the opinion that translation and interpreting are still considered to be luxury services when they are in fact a need in today's world.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:20
Hebrew to English
Please stop invoking the KKK Nov 7, 2013

LilianBNekipelo wrote:

mean, in the United States a translators or interpreters. I don't think the term exists here, in fact unless you are a part of some "nativist" klan, or KKK, perhaps. I think this article was related to the situation in the United States. If not for some multicultural people, the situation in the translation industry would have been quite dire in the strictly monolingual environments.

[Edited at 2013-11-01 11:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-11-01 11:05 GMT]

The KKK were/are certainly not translators who go around insisting that non-qualified non-native speakers shouldn't be translating into an L2/L3 etc. Telling people on this forum that they might be "part of some nativist klan [sic] or KKK" is offensive.

And before we get bogged down into another native/non-native discussion, you might want to re-read the part when Neilmac said: "when it is patently not their first language".

[Edited at 2013-11-07 08:54 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translators and interpreters expected to be one of the 15 fastest growing occupations in the nation, according to the Department of Labor

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »