A 'Babelfish' could be the web's next big thing, says AI expert

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "A 'Babelfish' could be the web's next big thing, says AI expert".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

jorvaor
jorvaor
Spain
Local time: 23:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
The future is now Mar 18, 2014

Translation on the fly achieved during the next 25 years? Google Translate can do it already.

Accurate translation, you say? That is different. I think that we would need a real AI for that, something able to understand the context of the text, plays on words, cultural references and the like. And that, is a completely different challenge.

Dusan Miljkovic
Dusan Miljkovic
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Agreed Mar 20, 2014

jorvaor wrote:

Translation on the fly achieved during the next 25 years? Google Translate can do it already.

Accurate translation, you say? That is different. I think that we would need a real AI for that, something able to understand the context of the text, plays on words, cultural references and the like. And that, is a completely different challenge.

Agreed. It's hard enough for humans to produce accurate translation between two languages, let alone any machine without advanced AI.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:43
Russian to English
+ ...
Agreed Mar 21, 2014

Dusan M wrote:

jorvaor wrote:

Agreed. It's hard enough for humans to produce accurate translation between two languages, let alone any machine without advanced AI.

Absolutely--just a pipe dream--like flying monkeys.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No, it can't Mar 21, 2014

jorvaor wrote:

No, it can't. If you read the article, you'll see that they're talking about the translation of speech, not text.

jorvaor
jorvaor
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not directly, but... Mar 21, 2014

Hello, Samuel.

I read the article, and I knew that it was about speech. I just supposed that it can't be that hard to feed Google Translate with a speech recognition program.

After a bit of googling, I have just found that it seems to be already possible:
Everybody’s talking (and translating) with Chrome

I haven't tried it yet, though.... See more
Hello, Samuel.

I read the article, and I knew that it was about speech. I just supposed that it can't be that hard to feed Google Translate with a speech recognition program.

After a bit of googling, I have just found that it seems to be already possible:
Everybody’s talking (and translating) with Chrome

I haven't tried it yet, though.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A 'Babelfish' could be the web's next big thing, says AI expert

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »