Google sets up a community site to help improve Google Translate

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Google sets up a community site to help improve Google Translate".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Olga Koepping  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:40
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
I guess... Jul 29, 2014

it's useful for people to understand things they just need a quick reference for. But I do start to wonder where this brave new world of "free stuff" will end...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:40
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
So this is it? Jul 30, 2014

Isn't relying on "language connoisseurs" (whatever that may mean) to improve the Google Translate service quite a sign that Google admits that their technology is not progressing at the pace they expected? To me this indicates that human translators will be here for a very long time indeed. Honestly I do not think that adding crowdsourcing to Google Translate will yield too good a result.

Michal Fabian  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:40
Member (2012)
Dutch to Slovak
+ ...
Sounds like a vain attempt... Jul 30, 2014

... but at the same time, it's basically Google admitting that machine translation is simply not good enough. And I like to hear that.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:40
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Me too Jul 30, 2014

Michal Fabian wrote:

... but at the same time, it's basically Google admitting that machine translation is simply not good enough. And I like to hear that.

Yes - it's a sign of desperation. Google has found out the hard way that automatic translation doesn't work.

icon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2014-07-30 08:24 GMT]

apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:40
English to German
+ ...
Simple brave new world Jul 30, 2014

Heck yeah! Let's waste work time for free for a Machine.

Tom in London wrote:

Michal Fabian wrote:

Yes - it's a sign of desperation. Google has found out the hard way that automatic translation doesn't work.

icon_smile.gif

Hope it stays that way - that language stays a few steps away (in front of) simplified-solution-machinists. They'll try to change that, this will not end. Let's work on giving them reasons to admit that language complexity is an a bit too tough a nut to be cracked by a simple code (or thousands of them).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google sets up a community site to help improve Google Translate

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search