https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_news/272858-episode_019_%E2%80%93_pricing_strategies_for_freelance_translators_%E2%80%93_interview_with_gwenydd_jones.html

Episode 019 – Pricing strategies for freelance translators – Interview with Gwenydd Jones

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Episode 019 – Pricing strategies for freelance translators – Interview with Gwenydd Jones".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Thomas Kis-Major
Thomas Kis-Major  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:29
English to Hungarian
+ ...
John Glenn's input Aug 1, 2014

'As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind

- every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder.'

John Glenn

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:29
Catalan to English
+ ...
Mea culpa Aug 2, 2014

I actually listened to this.

No, really. All of it.

I learnt that well paid but complex texts may not be worth it. Better a far easier text at a lower rate.

I learnt that there's software that tracks your time.

I learnt that "researching terminology" is a waste of time. (But remember, you have an application to track this).

I learnt that you have to charge a "sustainable" rate, enabling you to cover your expenses.

... See more
I actually listened to this.

No, really. All of it.

I learnt that well paid but complex texts may not be worth it. Better a far easier text at a lower rate.

I learnt that there's software that tracks your time.

I learnt that "researching terminology" is a waste of time. (But remember, you have an application to track this).

I learnt that you have to charge a "sustainable" rate, enabling you to cover your expenses.

Me mum always told me I was daft. (In a "sustainable" way, of course).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Episode 019 – Pricing strategies for freelance translators – Interview with Gwenydd Jones

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »