https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_news/290375-how_it_helps_the_european_commission_work_in_23_languages.html

How IT helps the European Commission work in 23 languages

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "How IT helps the European Commission work in 23 languages".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Natalia Pedrosa
Natalia Pedrosa
Spain
Local time: 08:11
Member (2012)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very interesting article Sep 1, 2015

Althoug I wonder if the managers know the translator's progress in real time, won't they be a bit pushy for the translator to complete the translation earlier?

Just wondering.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 08:11
English to German
'A bit pushy' doesn't even begin to describe it May 11, 2016

I know people (not translators) at the European Commission, and they agree that EU translators have an extremely stressful job. On the one hand because they are expected to be lightning fast, on the other hand because they are asked to preserve all the ambiguities and woolly stuff politicians and their minions say. For this, they are paid handsomely, but I don't think many of us would really want their jobs -- I know there are lots of applicants for each opening, but those still represent a tiny... See more
I know people (not translators) at the European Commission, and they agree that EU translators have an extremely stressful job. On the one hand because they are expected to be lightning fast, on the other hand because they are asked to preserve all the ambiguities and woolly stuff politicians and their minions say. For this, they are paid handsomely, but I don't think many of us would really want their jobs -- I know there are lots of applicants for each opening, but those still represent a tiny percentage of translators.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How IT helps the European Commission work in 23 languages

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »