China’s Stepes wants to corner U$38 mln language services industry with app for freelancers

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "China’s Stepes wants to corner U$38 mln language services industry with app for freelancers".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:22
English to French
Uberisation Feb 19, 2016

Again anybody using tech and speaking two languages can translate.
And get your figures right, US$38 million is what I made alone last year.

"Translators are paid between US$0.05 and US$0.13 per word, while Stepes charges its clients US$0.10 to $0.16 per word.

Translators are paid between US$0.05 and US$0.13 per word, depending on the languages used.

Stepes already has 50,000 translators in its database, many courtesy of its investor CSoft, a localisation an
... See more
Again anybody using tech and speaking two languages can translate.
And get your figures right, US$38 million is what I made alone last year.

"Translators are paid between US$0.05 and US$0.13 per word, while Stepes charges its clients US$0.10 to $0.16 per word.

Translators are paid between US$0.05 and US$0.13 per word, depending on the languages used.

Stepes already has 50,000 translators in its database, many courtesy of its investor CSoft, a localisation and translation company in Beijing
Collapse

Ed Ashley
Ed Ashley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:22
French to English
+ ...
Shades of Duolingo Feb 24, 2016

The attitude towards translation as a discipline reminds me of Duolingo.

"Seen 50% of the most commonly written words in language X at least once? Great! Start translating!"

J.E.Sunseri
J.E.Sunseri  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:22
Member (2009)
Russian to English
Comment on their FB page May 10, 2016

I did. I told them what I thought about asking for free labor for the hope of potential paid work. Hello. Is this really a good marketing ploy for anyone involved except middleman?

larserik
larserik  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 05:22
Albanian to Swedish
"Traditional" agency offers even less May 10, 2016

Stepes rates are ridiculous. But not the worst I have seen. This morning a Hungary based "traditional" agency offered me USD0,02 for English to Swedish long-time cooperation, a record-breaking low.

Natalia Postrigan
Natalia Postrigan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:22
Member (2016)
English to Russian
+ ...
Been with them for a while Jun 7, 2016

The jury is still out if the whole project is a fraud.
Judge for yourself:

First, I was contacted with regard to "a project for Google", with a pay of $0.04. I was sent a translation test that was graded as perfect, not a single issue found whatsoever. (I'm great, no doubt, heh. But it always raises my alarm when an editor has absolutely nothing to say)

After that I was told that the project will be completed via Stepes.

Over a couple of weeks, two t
... See more
The jury is still out if the whole project is a fraud.
Judge for yourself:

First, I was contacted with regard to "a project for Google", with a pay of $0.04. I was sent a translation test that was graded as perfect, not a single issue found whatsoever. (I'm great, no doubt, heh. But it always raises my alarm when an editor has absolutely nothing to say)

After that I was told that the project will be completed via Stepes.

Over a couple of weeks, two things have been happening in the app:
1) Lots of free jobs constantly posted. These are small, vocabulary like translations that consist of a word and its definition. There is no pay. I did a few, worth $10 my way and some $25 their way based on what the article says they charge their clients. These jobs keep coming but I am now waiting to see if there are any paid jobs.
2) Over time, there have been about 5 notifications of paid jobs available. I was right there using the app when it happened, a couple of times, or was using other apps when a pop-up would open. Still, I clicked instantly but immediately got a response that "another translator took the job".
At the moment, I strongly suspect that it is a ruse. There is no paid job and no other translator who was clicking faster.

As an extra carrot, I can see - but not react to - a list of paid jobs in other languages. They look very attractive, but mind it, they are there like a pretty wallpaper for me - can see but can't take them. And some are a mess - wrong language or meaningless sentences in other languages that I know.

I am waiting to see if there are any real paid jobs coming out of it. Otherwise, I will believe that it is a.brilliant setup to get professional translators to work for free while the inventors charge customers attractive fees.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

China’s Stepes wants to corner U$38 mln language services industry with app for freelancers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »