Turning the tide for translation: Six questions for Susan Bernofsky

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "Turning the tide for translation: Six questions for Susan Bernofsky".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Bogdan Buzdugan
Bogdan Buzdugan
Romania
Local time: 11:57
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
German vs English - Economy of Language Jul 4, 2016

The truth is German has a rare quality nowadays: it is indeed a pure and unaltered language. It has preserved its rigorous grammar construction - it has a very flexible word order because of its inflectional Latin syntax; Latin also influenced the verb tenses in German. The fact is that this beautiful and rich language that gave birth to poetry such as Hölderlin's and Rilke's, owns an admirable ease of use, being able to express a whole range of emotions and relationships in a few words or in s... See more
The truth is German has a rare quality nowadays: it is indeed a pure and unaltered language. It has preserved its rigorous grammar construction - it has a very flexible word order because of its inflectional Latin syntax; Latin also influenced the verb tenses in German. The fact is that this beautiful and rich language that gave birth to poetry such as Hölderlin's and Rilke's, owns an admirable ease of use, being able to express a whole range of emotions and relationships in a few words or in subtle shifts of tense, that few languages can match.
German's marvellous insights into human nature (the way it succeeds in comprising philosophical concepts in a single word) is a strong example of how a language can really shape minds and entire cultures.
The word "Geist" makes you think to a round and complete entity that is both Spirit and Mind, but all German language and culture it's actually feeling/thinking spirit.
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:57
German to English
+ ...
what tide is being turned? Jul 4, 2016

I read the transcript rather than spending the time listening to it. It seemed to be about translating books from German. Did I miss the part where a tide of some kind is being turned in some other direction?

Catherine Howard
Catherine Howard
United States
Local time: 04:57
Portuguese to English
+ ...
she explains the tide that's turning right there in the text Jul 10, 2016

She is explicit about the turning tide when the interviewer asked her why publishers in the U.S. publish so few books in translation:

"The number of translations that have been published in the US, I think, is beginning to increase again.
There’s been a whole new crop of mostly smaller publishers specializing in translated literature, and I
have a sense that there’s a lot of interest from younger readers in reading international literature now
[ . . .... See more
She is explicit about the turning tide when the interviewer asked her why publishers in the U.S. publish so few books in translation:

"The number of translations that have been published in the US, I think, is beginning to increase again.
There’s been a whole new crop of mostly smaller publishers specializing in translated literature, and I
have a sense that there’s a lot of interest from younger readers in reading international literature now
[ . . . ] I think publishers used to think that they couldn’t sell books that were translated [ . . . ] There
was just actually a study in England finding that the translated books were in many cases selling better
than similar books written in English. I think there’s something of a renaissance going on of interest in
translated literature. So, I think that tide is turning. "

[Edited at 2016-07-10 13:37 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Turning the tide for translation: Six questions for Susan Bernofsky

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »