Thread poster: Manuel Bueno
Manuel Bueno  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
Local time: 21:52
English
+ ...
Oct 2, 2008

Good evening everybody,
We've been members of Proz since a month ago and we have sent hundreds of budgets and nobody have answer yet. Is there something else we need to do to find a customer that I still don't know. Can someone please help us find a job?

Direct link Reply with quote

Kai Döring  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 09:52
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Patience Oct 2, 2008

Manuel Bueno wrote:

Good evening everybody,
We've been members of Proz since a month ago and we have sent hundreds of budgets and nobody have answer yet. Is there something else we need to do to find a customer that I still don't know. Can someone please help us find a job?

I just checked your profile and need to say, it is in need of some facts. Your tag line "we have the experience you need" cannot be seen in your profile.

Include pictures, clients reviews, etc.

Since you are just starting with proz.com .. one thing is important patience.

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:22
German to English
Don't rely completely on ProZ.com Oct 2, 2008

Hi Manuel,

Kai has already given you some good advice. I would just like to add that you should never rely completely on a website such as ProZ.com to get jobs. ProZ.com provides tools and resources to help translators in their work, which can then help you get clients, but it's not as easy to get clients directly through ProZ.com as you may think.

Some other things you could do:

- you don't seem to have your own website, and considering that you have registered as a company, I think that's quite an important step.

- attend some of the events for translators. There was recently a powwow (translators' meeting) in your country, see http://www.proz.com/powwow/2138. You can even organise one yourself. That way you can meet colleagues and possibly get contacts that will bring you more work.

- word of mouth is one of the best ways to let people know about you and your services. Whenever you meet someone who might look like a potential client or who might know of potential clients, let them know that you are looking for work and give them your business card.

- keep reading the forum discussions here on ProZ.com. You will often get good tips and advice. Some of the articles in the knowledgebase may also be helpful. Generally, if you search the web, you will find many useful articles providing marketing tips.

All the best,
Niraja

[Edited at 2008-10-02 03:10]

Dr. Andrew Frankland  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:52
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Be honest... Oct 2, 2008

3000 words per hour? Hundreds of thousands of words per day? I don't think so somehow. Plus you need a native English speaker to check your company profile.

Andy

Dominican Republic
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How can we find a job Oct 2, 2008

Ok, thanks for your help guys.
Dr. Andrew, where did you see that information about the 3000 words per hour?
I really can't believe I just wrote that.

xxxhazmatgerman
Local time: 02:52
English to German
3000 words-location Oct 2, 2008

It's on your very own corporate profile website: http://deu.proz.com/profile/917215?sp_mode=corp_profile
Interesting.

Dominican Republic
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How can we find a job Oct 2, 2008

Ok, I found it. I made the chages. Thanks a lot guys. Is there anything else that I may have wrong in our profile?

xxxwonita
China
Local time: 22:52
Jobs for freelancers Oct 2, 2008

As far as I am concerned, proz.com is more a site for freelancers to find jobs, and for agencies to outsource jobs.

Most translation agencies find their clients through local contacts, communications, and PR activities. If I had a job for agency, I would definitely contact one nearby, whose mentality resembles mine, with whom I can talk on the phone with ease .

Proz.com is the wrong place for job seaching agencies.

Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:52
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bienvenido Manuel :) Oct 2, 2008

I have a couple of suggestions which may help.
1- Revamp your profile page. First, change your slogan "Please help us to help you". It does not sound like a translation firm, or anything language related. It sounds more like the Salvation Army, which is not overly profitable,as far as I know.
2- In your profile, mention education, experience (be specific, even if you can't mention clients' names. You can say things like "we have worked with some of the larger NGOs in the region", or something like that).
3-Footwork. Very important. IF you wish to focus on immigration, etc. my own experience tells me that the best thing is to show up in person at the larger firms, ask to speak to the office manager (NOT the lawyers), and offer your card, with rates, etc. Even if they only file it, you never know when they will call. It's more likely if they remember your face.
4- Participate in KudoZ and forums here, when you can. It raises your profile and is a great way to network.

Suerte!

Benno Groeneveld  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:52
English to Dutch
+ ...
Interesting mix Oct 3, 2008

of languages on your website. Some things in German, some things in "English" (yes, have your website proofread by a native speaker of English).

Also: don't hit people over the head (figuratively speaking) with a dense mass of words. Break up the text, shorten the text, make the information more accessible.

And, of course, you use the best translators available. Why would you want to take up space saying that? Just "we provide quality translations" is much more convincing.

redred  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:52
English to Chinese
+ ...
something else Dec 20, 2008

Additional suggestion, construct a website, the traffic is higher than visitors in your profile then the alternative would target your goal gradually. Give a reference: http://www.acrosstrans.com

[Edited at 2008-12-20 13:49 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HOW CAN WE FIND A JOB?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search