https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_project_vendor_management/117071-workflow_management_software.html

Workflow management software
Thread poster: Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
Local time: 12:34
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 3, 2008

Hi everybody. Can anybody recommend a good translation workflow management tool? I use Translation Office (latest version) but there is no chance I can manage a team of translators as it is intended for the individual freelancer.

On the other hand, Projetex seems to be ideal for agencies but may be too complicated for freelancers or just a team of translators. And it's also quite expensive. I have downloaded a trial copy of T.O.M. but the interface does not look that user friendly
... See more
Hi everybody. Can anybody recommend a good translation workflow management tool? I use Translation Office (latest version) but there is no chance I can manage a team of translators as it is intended for the individual freelancer.

On the other hand, Projetex seems to be ideal for agencies but may be too complicated for freelancers or just a team of translators. And it's also quite expensive. I have downloaded a trial copy of T.O.M. but the interface does not look that user friendly and inserting extra tax deductions on invoices causes trouble. What do you guys use as a project management tool?
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:34
German to English
+ ...
Expensive? Oct 3, 2008

For what it does, Projetex is not expensive at all. My basis for comparison is LTC, the software we use (which I think has now been discontinued in favor of a web-based product). In fact, I think I saw a flashing ad recently for 50% discounts on new licenses and upgrades. There is (or used to be) an upgrade path from TO3000 to Projetex. The real question is whether you find the software usable, and I can't answer that for you. At the time I opted for LTC (the agency version, though I later decid... See more
For what it does, Projetex is not expensive at all. My basis for comparison is LTC, the software we use (which I think has now been discontinued in favor of a web-based product). In fact, I think I saw a flashing ad recently for 50% discounts on new licenses and upgrades. There is (or used to be) an upgrade path from TO3000 to Projetex. The real question is whether you find the software usable, and I can't answer that for you. At the time I opted for LTC (the agency version, though I later decided that outsourcing was too much of a nuisance), it was by far the best I found from the perspective of user interface (despite its many bugs). T03000 didn't really meet my needs, and Projetex didn't exist yet.

If you are a Linux nerd with time on your hands, you might look at ]project-open[ Translation. The money saved up front might well be lost in the time to configure it or by paying someone to do it for you.

I'm headed in the opposite direction as far as software is concerned, looking for something as limited as TO3000 now, but with better support for multi-lingual invoicing and other things. Maybe the latest versions of TO3000 has gotten there - I'll have to take a look.

As far as user-friendliness is concerned, you could do worse than to pick up a used license for v5.2 of LTC. I'm not offering, however, and little things like having to adapt all your reports using Crystal Reports and beg the software provider for the database password may prove too much of a nuisance. Probably easier to deal with the new product, LTC Worx.

However, I've thought on a number of occasions that if I did go for a web-based solution for managing my workflows, I wouldn't mind subscribing to one on ProZ if it did what I wanted. The economies of scale here could probably lead to a decent system being offered at a reasonable price.
Collapse

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re: Expensive? Oct 3, 2008

Hallo Kevin,

I'm one of those translators who spend a lot each year on upgrades, business travels, new software, faster connections, mobile devices, network adaptations, membership fees, new CAT tools etc. What I meant when I said "Projetex is expensive" is that the rate (Eur 700.00) is quite high if you have a limited budget (as a freelancer) that has to also take into account other expenses and investments. In fact it is agency oriented, that explains the price. Also, I've tried t
... See more
Hallo Kevin,

I'm one of those translators who spend a lot each year on upgrades, business travels, new software, faster connections, mobile devices, network adaptations, membership fees, new CAT tools etc. What I meant when I said "Projetex is expensive" is that the rate (Eur 700.00) is quite high if you have a limited budget (as a freelancer) that has to also take into account other expenses and investments. In fact it is agency oriented, that explains the price. Also, I've tried the demo version and I find many of the features would not even be desirable for a translator in my position. I only work with fellow translators once in a while so it would be nice if one day they released versions for individual freelancers (TO3000), versions for agencies (Projetex) and versions for teams or if they offered a special price for freelancers which is what they used to do a few years ago. I have never tried LTC. I'll do some research, thank you!
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:34
German to English
+ ...
Requirements? Oct 3, 2008

monica paolillo wrote:
What I meant when I said "Projetex is expensive" is that the rate (Eur 700.00) is quite high if you have a limited budget (as a freelancer) that has to also take into account other expenses and investments.

Actually the upgrade for you as a TO3000 owner is listed as €594.15, and recently (a few days ago I think) it would have been half that. The company runs periodic 50% off promotions, and if the software is what you want and your budget is tight, it's probably worth waiting for them. However, you have looked at the tool and determined that its features are not what you need, so that one's probably off the table.

What are the specific features you are looking for? Agency versions are basically designed to manage teams and deal with allocations of sub-jobs and specific costs for each translator. If that is overkill, what is it you actually think you need?

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Synergy?? Oct 3, 2008

If you have SDL Trados 8, you might want to have a look at Synergy.

It's a limited workflow system but it can work for a group of individual translators. If you don't use Trados, then it is not very useful...

For more complex requirements, SDL offers TeamWorks but I believe that's even more expensive than the other solutions that you are looking at...

Daniel

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Edit requested by company
MSzybowska
MSzybowska
English
XTRF Jan 29, 2009

If You want to try professional software, check XTRF Enterprise. (XTRF Translation Management Systems)

It covers the following areas of business management: customers and suppliers, quotes, projects and invoicing, ISO 9001 reports and analyses, as well as workflow management and project template management. See www.xtrf.eu

XTRF
XTRF
XTRF™-TM Apr 16, 2010

xianghua wrote:
Try XTM from www.xml-intl.com It's a dull TM system. They provide online demo of the system.
Greetings

MSzybowska wrote:
If You want to try professional software, check XTRF Enterprise. (XTRF Translation Management Systems)
It covers the following areas of business management: customers and suppliers, quotes, projects and invoicing, ISO 9001 reports and analyses, as well as workflow management and project template management. See www.xtrf.eu

Thank you.

XTRF™ Enterprise provides an integration with XTM CAT-tool. Such a combined tool is named XTRF-TM and due to the fact that it is completely Web-based is the unique solution at the market. See the details here: http://www.xtrf.eu/XTRF_TM

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workflow management software

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »