Thread poster: Diana Chemparathy

Diana Chemparathy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:48
English to French
+ ...
Sep 25, 2009

Hello,

As a freelance translator in the US, how can I outsource translation work that has been assigned to me by a client (outsourcing is done with client's approval). Do I need to incorporate myself, or can I remain a freelancer?

And when outsourcing work to some other translator, do I need to sign a collaboration agreement/contract of some sorts with the said translator, that states terms and conditions for payment, etc?

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote Turn social sharing on.
Like 5

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
W9 and 1099 Sep 26, 2009

Hello, Diana,

I am a sole proprietor (in other words, not incorporated). When I outsource, if the subcontractor during any single fiscal year is going to be paid by me $700 or more, they need to fill out a W9 form (which I have in a .pdf).

My tax preparer told me that in January, I will need to send a 1099 to the translators I have hired (I think that I also send it to the IRS, but I'll need to check into that).

I'm surprised I'm the first person to respond. I'd be interested in hearing from others, just to be sure I've got my story straight!

Patricia

Like 7

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:48
German to English
+ ...
W-8BEN Sep 29, 2009

This is my situation: my company is incorporated (although I don't think that matters), and I infrequently use subcontractors.

My subcontractors are located outside the US - they are not US citizens and their businesses are conducted entirely outside the US. What I need to have on file for them is a W-8BEN form. I wire them the entire amount due without dealing with taxes at all (except in the sense that I report this on my taxes).

As for a contract or agreement, I just agree conditions and rates by e-mail because I only use a few select translators I have known personally for several years, but if you don't know them that well or are concerned about this, you may want to have a contract. Don't forget to include your confidentiality expectations.

Like 16

Diana Chemparathy  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 29, 2009

Thank you all for your replies.
Daina, your answer is very helpful, thank you. I looked up online for W-8BEN and I am searching now for instructions as to how to fill it out (do you happen to have a link for that?). Daina, one more question: how did you find out that you need this form if you outsource translation work outside US? I am in fact in the same situation, my vendors are all outside US. The ones that I usually work with at least. Hmm...I need to take a closer look at the form and the instructions, thank you so much for your answer.

Like 3

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:48
German to English
+ ...
Your subcontractors fill it out Sep 30, 2009

Hi Diana,

Your subcontractors fill out the form, and you keep it on file. You might want to check with your accountant anyway, because I think if they are US citizens, the situation could be different again, even if they live abroad. My subcontractors neither do business in the US, nor are they US citizens. This stuff is pretty complicated! I found out I needed these forms on file from my accountant.

Patricia's information is also very useful, but it applies only (to my knowledge) if the subcontractors are US citizens/legal residents doing business in the United States.

[Edited at 2009-09-30 15:09 GMT]

Like 4

SAMUEL SARPONG  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:48
English to Twi
Outsourcing Jul 17, 2014

I want to start outsourcing for interpretation and translation work.
Can someone show me how it is done?

Thanks

Like 14

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to outsource translation work

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search