Cinzia Craighero  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:37
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 6, 2011

Hi there,
I have been asked to project manage the localisation of a software. The translators would invoice the company directly and I would also invoice the company an hourly fee for my project management. I am not sure what rate to charge? Any suggestions?
I have been thinking about 25£ an hour, does it sound reasonable?
Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Vikas Chaturvedi
Local time: 16:07
Urdu to English
+ ...
Depend on your efforts.. Jul 6, 2011

in my point of view you must review how much efforts, time invested by you on this project accordingly you should charge.

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:37
English to German
+ ...
What does your project management include? Jul 6, 2011

- You hire a proofreader / editor (you have to calculate their man hours/rates separately, plus the hours it took you for project management. which includes sending emails back and forth, bookkeeping, the entire communication, and such)
- You take care of the editing yourself - you may want to charge per word or per hour
- You start to maintain a full-fledged terminology management for your client, and you provide hard disk / server space.

Once you can answer those questions, you can do the math.

Susan van den Ende  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:37
English to Dutch
+ ...
Also depends on expertise and project size Jul 6, 2011

Filing and forwarding is usually charged quite differently from setting up project-specific filters for a CAT-tool and tackling engineering in different languages, for instance. The budget you'll be managing may also make a difference.

Good luck!

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:37
English to Russian
+ ...
see below Jul 6, 2011

... Any suggestions?
I have been thinking about 25£ an hour, does it sound reasonable?
Thanks!

I would charge 175 gbp per hour

United Kingdom
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 6, 2011

Thanks everyone! Sergei do you mean £17.5?

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:37
English to German
+ ...
Oh, good grief. Jul 6, 2011

cinziute wrote:

Please listen to Susan van den Ende. She knows what she is talking about.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Professional rates. Jul 6, 2011

cinziute wrote:

Why are you so shy to ask a decent/professional rate?
Do you love to work for peanuts.

My brother is an electrician, who asks €30 euros per hour.
I know a programmer who aksk 53.12 euros per hour.

My notary's employee printed out one paper. It took her one minute to type it and one minute to write it: rate: £110/125 euros.

If you have to pay Italian taxes on those £17.5, I would charge double.
Otherwise ,at the end of the fiscal year, you stand to loose money.

[Edited at 2011-07-06 13:52 GMT]

United Kingdom
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some more details Jul 6, 2011

It would just be a matter of finding the translators, liasing with them and making sure everything runs smoothly. No CAT-tools involved or editing. The translators would translate directly into a translation tool provided by the company.

I would really need some help to identify a fair rate, do you have any suggestions?

I do have experience in project managing, over 2 years, but I have never done it as freelance, hence my question.

United Kingdom
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Williamson Jul 6, 2011

I actually live in the UK. I did some research and it seems that the standard rate for translations is £25/30 per hour (in my languages at least). So I was wondering what the standard is for project managing. I didn't suggest £17.5. Noone has actually told me a rate yet, any suggestions?

[Edited at 2011-07-06 15:00 GMT]

Susan van den Ende  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:37
English to Dutch
+ ...
"Just" finding translators... Jul 6, 2011

... who are willing to work outside of their comfort zone in a proprietary tool?

The really good ones whom you can trust to do a good job will rarely accept that kind of work, especially if it comes from an unknown PM. So, there's no "just" about it. Don't underestimate recruitment.

So, either you charge a lot because you've got the skills to bring good people in anyway, or you charge a lot because the results delivered by less talented translators will backfire on your reputation and/or make it a very difficult job (as a PM, YOU deal with any complaints and are responsable for the quality you deliver in the end).

As for rates: don't look at hours spent by default, but consider billing for value delivered. If 3 hours of your work save the client 5,000 EUR, don't you think Sergei's rate is a total bargain?

United Kingdom
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
'Just'ification... Jul 7, 2011

My 'just' didn't imply that I underestimate recruitment, I know that finding trustworthy translators requires time and effort.

Thanks for the remarks, I understand where you are coming from.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Project Management Fees

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search