question about billing
Thread poster: chuann6

Local time: 05:25
French to English
Oct 4, 2011

I just needed to know what policy one follows for the word count hen one gets a legal document with large sections of repeated text....

does one make a % reduction?

or the exact number of words translated once?

Would be grateful for feedback on business practices in various parts of the world

Tx in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Paweł Hamerski
Local time: 00:55
English to Polish
+ ...
How would I know? Nov 2, 2011

If the repeated part is short one repeats without hesitation and if longer one makes suitable remark about the extent of such repetiotion as a translator's note.

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:55
Hebrew to English
Don't be so eager to discount Nov 2, 2011

Don't be so willing to give discounts. As a translator you are ultimately selling your time. You will still have to spend time checking these passages to make sure they are identical word-for-word when translating them.

Even if they are identical, do they mean the same thing in different contexts?

Legal documents are by their nature very repetitive. I have never offered discounts based on legal repetition. Especially because it's law you have to spend time ensuring the content is accurately and precisely translated. I don't think you can lump legal repetitions into the normal repetitions of generic translation. The repetitions in legal documents are usually necessary for clarification, to mitigate the chance of legal wrangling at a later date etc.

In essence, you're going to spend a long time checking and re-checking these repetitions anyway, either charge your usual per word or per hour fee, whichever is more appropriate and whichever has been agreed upon by both parties.

Don't fall into the agency-induced trap of thinking you have to discount anything.

Local time: 05:25
French to English
repetition Nov 3, 2011

Thank you! This is true : the onus is in the translator to check and take the trouble to sort it all out satisfactorily.

In the event of repetition of descriptions in legal texts, ..I suppose one could make some concession.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

question about billing

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search