question about billing
Thread poster: chuann6

chuann6
Local time: 16:01
French to English
Oct 4, 2011

Hi,

I just needed to know what policy one follows for the word count hen one gets a legal document with large sections of repeated text....

does one make a % reduction?

or the exact number of words translated once?

Would be grateful for feedback on business practices in various parts of the world

Tx in advance

Paweł Hamerski
Poland
Local time: 12:31
English to Polish
+ ...
How would I know? Nov 2, 2011

Hello,
If the repeated part is short one repeats without hesitation and if longer one makes suitable remark about the extent of such repetiotion as a translator's note.
Regards

Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:31
Hebrew to English
Don't be so eager to discount Nov 2, 2011

Don't be so willing to give discounts. As a translator you are ultimately selling your time. You will still have to spend time checking these passages to make sure they are identical word-for-word when translating them.

Even if they are identical, do they mean the same thing in different contexts?

Legal documents are by their nature very repetitive. I have never offered discounts based on legal repetition. Especially because it's law you have to spend time ensuring the content is accurately and precisely translated. I don't think you can lump legal repetitions into the normal repetitions of generic translation. The repetitions in legal documents are usually necessary for clarification, to mitigate the chance of legal wrangling at a later date etc.

In essence, you're going to spend a long time checking and re-checking these repetitions anyway, either charge your usual per word or per hour fee, whichever is more appropriate and whichever has been agreed upon by both parties.

Don't fall into the agency-induced trap of thinking you have to discount anything.

chuann6
Local time: 16:01
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
repetition Nov 3, 2011

Thank you! This is true : the onus is in the translator to check and take the trouble to sort it all out satisfactorily.

In the event of repetition of descriptions in legal texts, ..I suppose one could make some concession.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

question about billing

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search