Difference between quoting in UNITS and per word
Thread poster: Josephine Cassar

Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:20
Member (2012)
Italian to English
+ ...
Apr 17, 2013

Dear all, I would like to know the difference between being quoted a rate in UNITS versus per word, as an agency asked rate per unit, not per word. I could not find anything in the previous forum posts with regards to this. Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

dahliaib
Local time: 14:20
French to Arabic
+ ...
The unit most commonly used is words, Apr 17, 2013

How payment tends to work in the translation industry

Before setting about determining one's rates, one must understand how payment tends to work in the translation industry.

Translators often quote their rates on a per-unit basis. The unit most commonly used is words, but characters, segments, lines, pages, "weighted words" (adjusted for repetitions, etc.), and even minutes and hours are also sometimes used. To determine how much to charge for a specific job, the translator determines the number of units in the job and multiplies it by his/her per-unit rate.

Some people believe that unit-based quoting isn't ideal for translation work because the units that translators produce don't all look the same and the units don't all take the same amount of time and effort to produce. However, unit-based quoting is common among translators and translation agencies, perhaps because it is simple to understand and relatively quick and easy to calculate, and because this approach often makes it possible to know costs in advance.

Other approaches to payment are sometimes taken, but these are less common. For more information on how pricing tends to work in the translation industry, see the article "Approaches used in determining payment for translation projects".

http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Determining_your_rates_and_fees_as_a_translator

Katalin Sandor  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Project price? Apr 17, 2013

I generally work on a per word basis for one of my agency clients but sometimes they pay per project, in which case the PO says: "UOM : Unit". Maybe this is the case with your client: they want a price for the whole project rather than a per word rate. This would be my guess.

Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Project price Apr 18, 2013

Hi all, thank you very much for your answers. The agency quoted as per unit price & then gave a global price which worked as per unit/word price, but as I had not seen the text, I did not know how the agency would calculate the units. However, your answers clarified the matter, and thanks all. good day, happy work

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difference between quoting in UNITS and per word

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search