The acceptable rate for transcription and translation
Thread poster: kok seng loh

kok seng loh
Local time: 02:11
Chinese to English
+ ...
Apr 24, 2013

Just now, I received an offer to transcribe and translate Chinese vo into English one. After some number crunching, I discovered that both processes pay about US$0.01 per Chinese source word. Is this a reasonable rate?

Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
Peanuts.. Apr 25, 2013

See http://search.proz.com/employers/rates and bear in mind that Proz average rates are usually considered quite low.

[Edited at 2013-04-25 12:16 GMT]

Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:11
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nope Apr 25, 2013

that doesn't sound reasonable to me but I don't work with Chinese. I certainly don't think anyone should accept a rate for transcription/translation that's less than what they would normally charge for translation. Transcription/translation is much much harder than translation.
Perhaps you could search the forum for other discussions with 'transcription' in the title. Numbers have been crunched and discussions have been had for years on this subject and you might just find some good pointers.

kok seng loh
Local time: 02:11
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is my first encounter with an offer this low Apr 26, 2013

Well, I did not accept that assignment.

I thought only vendors from certain countries offer such abysmally low rates. This rate comes a translation agency from a certain advanced country.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The acceptable rate for transcription and translation

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search