The acceptable rate for transcription and translation
Thread poster: kok seng loh
kok seng loh
Local time: 10:26
Chinese to English
+ ...
Apr 24, 2013

Just now, I received an offer to transcribe and translate Chinese vo into English one. After some number crunching, I discovered that both processes pay about US$0.01 per Chinese source word. Is this a reasonable rate?

Direct link Reply with quote

Lennart Luhtaru  Identity Verified
United States
English to Estonian
+ ...
Peanuts.. Apr 25, 2013

See http://search.proz.com/employers/rates and bear in mind that Proz average rates are usually considered quite low.

[Edited at 2013-04-25 12:16 GMT]

Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:26
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nope Apr 25, 2013

that doesn't sound reasonable to me but I don't work with Chinese. I certainly don't think anyone should accept a rate for transcription/translation that's less than what they would normally charge for translation. Transcription/translation is much much harder than translation.
Perhaps you could search the forum for other discussions with 'transcription' in the title. Numbers have been crunched and discussions have been had for years on this subject and you might just find some good pointers.

kok seng loh
Local time: 10:26
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is my first encounter with an offer this low Apr 26, 2013

Well, I did not accept that assignment.

I thought only vendors from certain countries offer such abysmally low rates. This rate comes a translation agency from a certain advanced country.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The acceptable rate for transcription and translation

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search