Thread poster: Ruchira Raychaudhuri
Ruchira Raychaudhuri
Ruchira Raychaudhuri  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 05:23
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
Nov 5, 2013

I have a client (a translation agency) which worked with Trados 2007 for a long time. During this time, they would send pre-translated bilingual Word documents for the freelancer to work on.
Recently, the agency has started working with Studio 2009. But they have not sent any communication on the workflow they want to follow for Studio jobs. So they have now started sending the original file to be translated (in Word, Excel, PDF format etc.) , a Trados TM in .txt format and a price based
... See more
I have a client (a translation agency) which worked with Trados 2007 for a long time. During this time, they would send pre-translated bilingual Word documents for the freelancer to work on.
Recently, the agency has started working with Studio 2009. But they have not sent any communication on the workflow they want to follow for Studio jobs. So they have now started sending the original file to be translated (in Word, Excel, PDF format etc.) , a Trados TM in .txt format and a price based on the Trados analysis. This particular agency pays discounted rates for repetitions and Trados matches.

My question is: how do agencies usually send these Studio jobs to freelancers? Some other clients of mine, who are using Studio, are sending Studio packages, where the file to be translated has already been pre-translated based on their TM. So I simply send them a return package with the translated file. But this particular agency is paying discounted rates AND expecting the freelancer to do all the work, i.e. create the Studio project, populate the matches from the TM and at the same time, they are not clearly saying how the file should be sent back to them - when asked, they said I should send them the bilingual sdlxliff file. Is this a correct way to work for Studio jobs? After all, the freelancer may create a project with certain settings which may not match those of the agency and if so, this bilingual sdlxliff file may cause problems when sent back to the agency.

I am wondering whether this is a normal or common procedure with other agencies and whether there are other freelancers out there who are facing such problems. Shouldn't Studio jobs be sent as Studio packages? Isn't it the job of the agency to send the freelancer a prepared Trados file for translation, especially when they are paying discounted rates?

Thanks..
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:23
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Packages not necessary Nov 5, 2013

Studio is quite flexible in its workflow. I have clients who regularly send source documents and I just send the target document back. There's no need to work with packages if the client doesn't. It takes a few minutes to create a TM, import the client's TM and get to work. I maintain a TM for each client and if the client sends a TM usually just import it into the client's general TM.

The discounted rates are whole other issue, you have to decide whether they are an accurate reflec
... See more
Studio is quite flexible in its workflow. I have clients who regularly send source documents and I just send the target document back. There's no need to work with packages if the client doesn't. It takes a few minutes to create a TM, import the client's TM and get to work. I maintain a TM for each client and if the client sends a TM usually just import it into the client's general TM.

The discounted rates are whole other issue, you have to decide whether they are an accurate reflection of your time and whether they are acceptable to you or not.
Collapse

Mark
Mark
Local time: 05:23
Italian to English
Sounds a bit daft Nov 5, 2013

It sounds like they’re doing more work than they need to, but I’m not sure it need concern you. A pain not to have the concordance (I gather), but that again might be seen as more their problem.

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:23
English to Spanish
You need to create a project Nov 5, 2013

Ruchira Raychaudhuri wrote:

I am wondering whether this is a normal or common procedure with other agencies and whether there are other freelancers out there who are facing such problems. Shouldn't Studio jobs be sent as Studio packages? Isn't it the job of the agency to send the freelancer a prepared Trados file for translation, especially when they are paying discounted rates?

That is a common way. You receive all the necessary files, not a package, and you create the project (not a package), where you add the translatable files and TM they sent you.

If they did not send you a TM, you simply create it at the time you are creating your project.

Studio provides a Project Creation Wizard that takes you through the process by the hand.

When creating a project pay attention to the project location. Studio provides you with a default location, but you do not have to use it, you can choose whatever location you want.

Once you are done translating the translatable files, you save them as target, and those are the files you send back to your client. Your target language files will be located in the target language folder within your project.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2013-11-05 17:31 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Project preparation by agency for freelancer for Studio jobs

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »