https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/101795-what_do_you_call_translator_in_a_company.html

What do you call? Translator in a company
Thread poster: annick1706
annick1706
annick1706
French
Apr 9, 2008

What do you call a translator who works for a firm as a full time employee? I don't mean for a translation agency, but let's say for a international company that makes clothes or food or software.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
An In-House Translator Apr 9, 2008

That.

annick1706
annick1706
French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 9, 2008

So it's the same word as for pple who works in agencies? I'm looking for infos abt that kind of translation, but if I google in-house translator, I only get pages abt agencies.

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:13
Russian to English
+ ...
Different names Apr 9, 2008

The model in the US seems to be that translation is mostly outsourced. However, one frequently finds ads for clerical personnel who are expected to do translation on the side.

If you're interested in such a position, you might simply write to companies that make the product/provide the service in which your expertise is and has a presence in the countries in which your target language is spoken. Or you might call their switchboard and ask to speak to someone in the translation d
... See more
The model in the US seems to be that translation is mostly outsourced. However, one frequently finds ads for clerical personnel who are expected to do translation on the side.

If you're interested in such a position, you might simply write to companies that make the product/provide the service in which your expertise is and has a presence in the countries in which your target language is spoken. Or you might call their switchboard and ask to speak to someone in the translation department.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you call? Translator in a company

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »