Thread poster: Luiza Jasińska

Luiza Jasińska  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 07:38
Polish to English
+ ...
Apr 22, 2008

Hello!
I am writing MA thesis about different methods of translating book titles and I wanted to ask if any one knows where I could find some interesting books about what is a title and various methods of translating. So far I have only Gagaczewska i Hejwowski and I have problem with finding anything else.
I would be very grateful for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Agnieszka Hayward
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
Contact publishing houses? Apr 22, 2008

Hi Luiza-Liliza,

why not contact some publishing houses. I guess they might help you out.
As far as I know, it's usually the publisher who decides about the title (and yes, they're not always right... ) And they have their policies.

Regards,
Agnieszka

Jim Tucker  Identity Verified
United States
Hungarian to English
+ ...
An interesting related subject... Apr 22, 2008

....would be the tradition of translating film titles, some of which are radically different from their originals. This would also be much easier to research, I think. You might check imdb for this, but there are undoubtedly other excellent sources.

Luiza Jasińska  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
book titles Apr 23, 2008

Thank you both, but I cannot connect it with film titles, since its something different and I also cannot ask publishers because they do not choose the title, but a translator.
Besides, I am looking for theory about what is title and methods of translating book titles.
Thank you anyway:)

smitchcoles
English
smithcoles Jun 9, 2008

well i don't know much about it but i ll provide you some help for thesis writing for students and professional and beginners as well i hope it will help you out guys thanks
for more details
writeatermpaper

Jack Smith
English
Thesis Writing - Helpful Hints Jun 10, 2008

Writer's block? How do the professionals overcome the problem of getting that first sentence down on paper?

First: get organized. Know what you need to write, and why you are writing it. Problem Statement? Limitations section? Hypotheses? You can't write without planning what you are going to say. Make a list of the points you plan to cover- a word or two is enough-and then organize the research materials and notes you will use.

Second: look at samples. You can't write a section of Chapter I such as the Problem Statement if you don't know what a Problem Statement is, or what goes into it.

Third: get it down, then edit. What you write does not have to be perfect the first time. Get the words down, and then go back and refine where necessary.

Fourth: save, save, save. How discouraging to find that the page or chapter your worked so hard to write has disappeared in a hard disk failure, or when a power surge hits your computer. Save your work in multiple places: hard drive, floppy, zip drive, CD. Also print out sections as they are finished so you can see what your work looks like on paper.

For more Research Paper Writing

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

book titles

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search