https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/10332-please_help_me_with_a_word_2002_problem.html

Please help me with a Word 2002 problem
Thread poster: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:14
German to English
Apr 18, 2003

I\'ve been doing a lot of copying and pasting to Word from html pages on the Internet and now I think Word has automatically converted the normal template that I use for Word documents to markup format. I just finished a long translation and my spellcheck won\'t work. It tells me that the spell check is completed even though I know there are mistakes (I typed mistakes deliberately to check). Instead of the normal page break lines, I have dotted lines. Can someone tell me how to change the templa... See more
I\'ve been doing a lot of copying and pasting to Word from html pages on the Internet and now I think Word has automatically converted the normal template that I use for Word documents to markup format. I just finished a long translation and my spellcheck won\'t work. It tells me that the spell check is completed even though I know there are mistakes (I typed mistakes deliberately to check). Instead of the normal page break lines, I have dotted lines. Can someone tell me how to change the template to normal?

Thanks in advance, Kim
Collapse

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 14:14
German to Romanian
+ ...
Have you tried ... ? Apr 18, 2003

Hi Kim,

I\'m not sure I understand your problem. For the layout problem (dots instead of pages) go to View and select Print layout, you should get a page by page view of the document.

As for the spelling, are you sure that the right language is selected? Select the whole text (Ctrl+A), then go to Tools - Language and select Set Language. In the dialog choose the language you are using.

I hope that helps, but I\'m really not sure I understood correctly wha
... See more
Hi Kim,

I\'m not sure I understand your problem. For the layout problem (dots instead of pages) go to View and select Print layout, you should get a page by page view of the document.

As for the spelling, are you sure that the right language is selected? Select the whole text (Ctrl+A), then go to Tools - Language and select Set Language. In the dialog choose the language you are using.

I hope that helps, but I\'m really not sure I understood correctly what your problem is.
Collapse

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Try to select all the text Apr 18, 2003

you might have copied a command to skip text; try to select the whole text (edit + select all) and run the spell checker on it.

Gilda

ikhsan
ikhsan
English to Indonesian
+ ...
view not in normal mode, and try resetting the spell checking Apr 18, 2003

The dotted line page breaks that\'s probably because your not in the normal view mode. Try changing to normal view form the View menu. And for the spell checker, try resetting the checker to default setting. Probably because you set the spell checker to ignore internet markup language or something like that.

Hope this help!

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Rename Normal.dot Apr 18, 2003

Hi Kim,

in case Eli\'s suggestion (which was my first idea too) doesn\'t work, there is a quick-and-dirty method to reset the normal.dot to default (but reading your description of the problem, I\'m not sure that\'s where the problem lies - copy&paste doesn\'t normally wreck your templates):

With Word closed, rename the current normal.dot (usually it\'s in a subfolder of your MS Office directory, if you don\'t find it, search for it on the c: drive). At
... See more
Hi Kim,

in case Eli\'s suggestion (which was my first idea too) doesn\'t work, there is a quick-and-dirty method to reset the normal.dot to default (but reading your description of the problem, I\'m not sure that\'s where the problem lies - copy&paste doesn\'t normally wreck your templates):

With Word closed, rename the current normal.dot (usually it\'s in a subfolder of your MS Office directory, if you don\'t find it, search for it on the c: drive). At the next start, Word re-creates the default normal.dot.

If you didn\'t have any personalised settings or macros in the old (now renamed) normal.dot, you can now safely delete it.

Endre

EB Communications
Collapse

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Perhaps this might help Apr 18, 2003

Hi Kim,

I\'ve had similar problems, and I now deal with it as follows:

1. Mark all the text (CTRL + A)

2. Double click on the \"text language box\" right at the bottom of the window, approx. in the middle.

3. A small window pops up with the various languages and 2 tick boxes (in German, the upper one = Rechtschreibung und Grammatik nicht prüfen, bottom = Sprache automatisch erkennen - I don\'t know what the English equivs are exactly, something like top
... See more
Hi Kim,

I\'ve had similar problems, and I now deal with it as follows:

1. Mark all the text (CTRL + A)

2. Double click on the \"text language box\" right at the bottom of the window, approx. in the middle.

3. A small window pops up with the various languages and 2 tick boxes (in German, the upper one = Rechtschreibung und Grammatik nicht prüfen, bottom = Sprache automatisch erkennen - I don\'t know what the English equivs are exactly, something like top = do not check spelling and grammar, and bottom = automatic recognition of language).

4. Anyway, in many of the texts that I receive from other people or in downloaded texts the upper box is ticked but half shaded. Click on this box until the tick disappears. Try the spellchecker again.

This semishaded tick appears when some of the text is marked as not requiring spellchecking.

Hope this helps,

have a nice Easter

regards,

Jill
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please help me with a Word 2002 problem

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »