Changing margins for printing a balance sheet?
Thread poster: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:02
German to English
Apr 21, 2003

I have to compare a balance sheet written in German with one written in English. To do this I have to print the German version, but after selecting landscape for printing I still don\'t get the text on the extreme right side of the page. I guess I\'ll have to change the margins. Can someone help me with this?

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:02
German to English
What program are you using? Apr 21, 2003

Word, Excel or something else?

I only have the German version of Word and Excel; in both cases you can set the margins under Datei (File) -> Seite einrichten (Page setup?).

If that doesn\'t work try marking the complete text and then selecting a smaller font size to get everything on one page.

Hope this helps.

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Hello Kim! Apr 21, 2003

For EXCEL:

I recommend you to first try to redefine the print area in order to make sure all text is included therein. Then under \"Page setup\" there is an option \"Adjust to xxx pages high and YYY (1) in your case) pages wide\". The font will get smaller automatically. Alternatively, you may change paper format to \"Landscape\" to get a wider page. But check the \"print area\" setting, anyway.

For \"Word, I agree with Bob. Maybe, the default paper form
... See more
For EXCEL:

I recommend you to first try to redefine the print area in order to make sure all text is included therein. Then under \"Page setup\" there is an option \"Adjust to xxx pages high and YYY (1) in your case) pages wide\". The font will get smaller automatically. Alternatively, you may change paper format to \"Landscape\" to get a wider page. But check the \"print area\" setting, anyway.

For \"Word, I agree with Bob. Maybe, the default paper format setting on your computer when opening a \"WORD\" file is \"US letter\" or \"Legal\" or something else (slightly smaller than A4), therefore, the text written in A4 format does not fit in. This can be changed to A4 under \"page setup\" as you are aware.

HTH

Steffen
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:02
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Bob and Steffen Apr 21, 2003

It\'s in Word 2002. And I just realized that after selecting landscape, I need to use legal size paper to get it all on one page. Would that do it?

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Maybe you could use the ruler Apr 21, 2003

Hello Kim,

If you have a ruler on the top of your Word screen you can adapt your text margins to any size you want by extending or closing the ruler ends. Then you can print it in any paper size required.

I think this should work.

Best regards,

Mónica

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Shrink to Fit Apr 21, 2003

You could try printing via Print Preview. Push the Shrink to Fit button on the toolbar before printing.

Regards,

Gerard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing margins for printing a balance sheet?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »