Units of measurement in Bulgarian
Thread poster: Studio-ti
Studio-ti
Italy
Local time: 14:03
English
Jun 9, 2008

Greetings.

I work for a company writing (and translating) user and workshop manuals for earth-moving machines.
In our job flow, we use Trados and FrameMaker as softwares.

Now the question is: I would like a Bulgarian mothertongue (or expert) to tell me if we can use the transliterated abbreviations of the metric / imperial units of measurement (cm, lb, etc.) in tables in a manual in Bulgarian language.
Currently, for example with Russian, we use abbreviations in Cyrillic alphabet in discourses, but we leave the English abbreviations in tables, as we have been told that it's also ok, and it facilitates our work a lot.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Anna
IT/EN/DE translator
Studio-ti srl

Direct link Reply with quote

A. Terpecheva  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
I don't agree Jun 10, 2008

Dear Anna,

I consider it is improper translation to "use abbreviations in Cyrillic alphabet in discourses but leaving the English abbreviations in tables"...
It is just my opinion.
Regards

I work for a company writing (and translating) user and workshop manuals for earth-moving machines.
In our job flow, we use Trados and FrameMaker as softwares.

Now the question is: I would like a Bulgarian mothertongue (or expert) to tell me if we can use the transliterated abbreviations of the metric / imperial units of measurement (cm, lb, etc.) in tables in a manual in Bulgarian language.
Currently, for example with Russian, we use abbreviations in Cyrillic alphabet in discourses, but we leave the English abbreviations in tables, as we have been told that it's also ok, and it facilitates our work a lot.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Anna
IT/EN/DE translator
Studio-ti srl [/quote]

[Edited at 2008-06-10 07:50]

Studio-ti
Italy
Local time: 14:03
English
TOPIC STARTER
What should we do then? Jun 10, 2008

Dear Assia,

so what's you suggestion then?
In your reply you just said that what we do doesn't make sense, but did not make any suggestion at all as how to proceed.
Any further constructive criticism would be welcome.

Regards

Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 15:03
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
You may leave only the metric units Jun 13, 2008

I don't quite understand what you mean by "transliterated abbreviations". To use your example, a transliteration of "cm" would be "цм", which is absolutely wrong. On the other hand, the unit abbreviation "cm" has its correspondence in Bulgarian (and Russian as well) and it is "см". But this is no transliteration by any means.
And don't even think about leaving the imperial units, unless they are established in the respective area. For example, pipe fittings are usually measured in inches - although the German word "zoll" is used - and not in millimeters. On the other hand, no one would know how much is a cubic foot of earth or an acre of land.
Since in Bulgaria the SI units may be written both in the latin alphabet and in cyrillic, with some preference to the latin rendering, you need just to choose one approach for the unit names and use it consistently. Of course, converting units from imperial to SI is tedious and error-prone, but leaving a table with, for example, values of torque in pound-feet is simply useless.
And I have to stress on the consistency part. Don't use one style of unit names representation in the text and the other one in the tables - assuming the units used are the same, not SI and imperial. Although the readers will probably have no trouble understanding it, at least to me seeing such a manual would be a sign of lack of attention of detail.
Actually, this question is a little strange. Just do the same what you do when translating into Italian, since Italy is "a metric country", as far as I remember. Of course, they don't write in cyrillic in Italy, but your translator(s) should know very well how to render the units of measurement in their tongue.

A. Terpecheva  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
The perfect answer Jun 16, 2008

bsb_2 wrote:

I don't quite understand what you mean by "transliterated abbreviations". To use your example, a transliteration of "cm" would be "цм", which is absolutely wrong. On the other hand, the unit abbreviation "cm" has its correspondence in Bulgarian (and Russian as well) and it is "см". But this is no transliteration by any means.
And don't even think about leaving the imperial units, unless they are established in the respective area. For example, pipe fittings are usually measured in inches - although the German word "zoll" is used - and not in millimeters. On the other hand, no one would know how much is a cubic foot of earth or an acre of land.
Since in Bulgaria the SI units may be written both in the latin alphabet and in cyrillic, with some preference to the latin rendering, you need just to choose one approach for the unit names and use it consistently. Of course, converting units from imperial to SI is tedious and error-prone, but leaving a table with, for example, values of torque in pound-feet is simply useless.
And I have to stress on the consistency part. Don't use one style of unit names representation in the text and the other one in the tables - assuming the units used are the same, not SI and imperial. Although the readers will probably have no trouble understanding it, at least to me seeing such a manual would be a sign of lack of attention of detail.
Actually, this question is a little strange. Just do the same what you do when translating into Italian, since Italy is "a metric country", as far as I remember. Of course, they don't write in cyrillic in Italy, but your translator(s) should know very well how to render the units of measurement in their tongue.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Units of measurement in Bulgarian

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search