Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:31
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 14, 2003

Dear colleagues

My client has asked me to translate a small quarterly trade magazine. But this time, the magazine includes a contest based on a crosswords puzzle that has to be solved

While I wait for my client\'s anwser, could you please give me some suggestions of what shall I do with a crosswords puzzle? Shall I translate it or what?

Thank you very much

Clarisa Moraña

Direct link Reply with quote

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:31
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Steer clear! May 14, 2003

Crossword puzzles are EXTREMELY hard to design, not to mention time-consuming. If you decide to do it after all, be sure you\'re paid very, very well. It means that you have to find words that fit into their layout, the crossing words with the intersecting letters in the right place, AND you have to come up with the definitions.

Since it\'s a contest, you can\'t make it too easy either, or everyone wins.

So if I were you, I wouldn\'t do it!

Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:31
English to Croatian
+ ...
This is something new! May 14, 2003

I have never heard of translating a crossword puzzle. If anyone has ever done it please let me know.

(Reward is awaiting)

Regards!

Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Could be fun... May 14, 2003

Clarisa,

Usually crosswords are compiled using software. Perhaps you could simply translate the clues and words and your client could plug them back in with the software. I would charge by the hour, not by the word for this. I have used simple online freeware to create crosswords before (in my former life as an elementary school teacher).

Check this site out for more info on software:

http://thinks.com/software/crosswords.htm

HTH

Regards,

Sara

schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
crosswords created by online freeware tend to be much too difficult May 14, 2003

...because across and down words tend to cross at very few points. Maybe you try several times, changing some words...

Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
As I recall from my TESOL days... May 15, 2003

there are sveral good freeware tools on the web to make good crosswords. You just feed the answer and clues and the software makes the actual crossword. If the magazine *needs* to have one, that´s the way to go Forget about translating it, but you can follow the same theme from the original crossword, and try to mantain the difficulty level.

And if it comes to it, please please avoid those boring \"son of X, brother of X\" biblical references

Good luck!

Philip Ronan
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:31
Japanese to English
+ ...
I wouldn't touch this with a bargepole May 15, 2003

... well not unless the client is prepared to pay me BY THE HOUR for HOWEVER LONG IT TAKES.

And what about the prize for this competition? Are you supposed to provide that as well??

Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Just relax and wait for your customer's reply May 15, 2003

How often does this happen, that a customer is totally unaware of some of the problems involved in some translation project? I think this is quite common. I would just take it for granted, that he wanted the text of the magazine translated but did not think about all the other stuff - pictures, games etc.

Make him or her aware in a friendly manner, that there is something more than text and make an offer for transferring this to the target language as well.

After all, they are customers, not enemies. And they often do not understand, what it takes to put something from one language into another - this is why they call for us (except for agencies, they know very well). Telling them and making an offer is our job. If they do not agree, well then that is a different case. Then we have to decide, what it is worth and whether it pays to do the job, nevertheless.

Good luck

Claudia

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No answer yet! May 24, 2003

Thank you all for your help!

I decided not to translate the crossword. The client never answered me (I had politely asked him what to do, and suggested him that it was untranslatable because of its content, and because it was a contest). I do assume that he has read the two emails I delivered him, and I do not want to tell him again that I did not translated the crossword (I\'m afraid of being too insistent). I even offered him to translated a small text informing readers that the contest will only be en English.

Regards,

Clarisa Moraña

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Crosswords! What shall I do?

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search