Excel Vs Word words count
Thread poster: Marina Dolinsky
Marina Dolinsky  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:43
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 14, 2008

Recently I completed a big translation project over 19,000 in English source translated into Russian.
I got the source in Excel file where I should put my Russian translation.
In order to do a job, I copied the english source into Word format and did the translation using WordFast. When I completed it I pasted my Russian text back into Excel accross the English.
when I finished it and counted words I found out that the count in Excel only 15, 450 words, though in Word format the count is 24, 644 words.

If somebody had had this problem? Do you know how to resolve it?

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Don't rely on Excel Jul 15, 2008

Stick to Word and Wordfast statistics. I cannot say what may be the reason in your case, but you either charge for source text or target text only. So you have to count the source or target column only, not both.
Regards
Heinrich

Marina Dolinsky  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Heinrech! Jul 15, 2008

Thank you Heinrech,

Yes, I counted only for target column in Russian. The matter is that in translations English to Russian the target count usualy increases in target on 1.3 - 1.5%. and it makes sense if I count my target text in WordFast, but it absolutely doesn't make sense if I count it after pasting into Excel file. I would like to understand what happenes with word count in Excel. Why Excel doesn't count all target words?
My client doesn't agree to count words on WordFast, but only on Excel, so I don't know how to prove him that Excel's count is wrong.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel Vs Word words count

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search