AniseK
AniseK  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 02:31
Japanese to English
+ ...
For a non-native English speaker Jul 19, 2008

Natalia Potashnik wrote:

UK English differs from US English and it is not just spelling. English is not my native language. However I lived 9 years in Australia where they speak British English before the fate brought me to the US. Switching to American English was a painful process. I will give you a few of examples.
French fries (US) - chips (UK)
Meal to go (US) - take away (UK)
Gas (US) - petrol (UK). If you say 'gas' meaning "gasoline" the British will think that you talk about natural gas. And so on and so forth.

If you do not know these things then you will not suspect that 'gas' must be replaced with 'petrol'.

I've experienced the same thing, and I agree with all other posts, switching US English to UK English is more than setting your spellchecker to UK English. In the UK, they even phrase things differently:-)

Gemma Collinge
Gemma Collinge  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:31
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
got/gotten Jul 19, 2008

The whole got/gotten issue was the thing that has caused me most problems when I've been asked to translate into US English.

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/got.html

casey
casey  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:31
Japanese to English
That's an interesting one Jul 19, 2008

Gemma Collinge wrote:

The whole got/gotten issue was the thing that has caused me most problems when I've been asked to translate into US English.

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/got.html

I'm glad to have gotten acquainted with this difference.

Sometimes clients ask me to do this, too. I just change the spell checker to UK English, watch where I place quotation marks (or "inverted commas") and tell them that's the best I can do. They continue to send me the stuff, so I assume someone is editing the files later.

Anthony Lines (X)
Anthony Lines (X)
United Kingdom
French to English
Two countries seperated by a "common" language. Jul 19, 2008

As an English resident in France, and ex Royal Air Force officer, it would appear to me that the French have a better understanding of the differences between English and "American" than most English-speakers. Their military language school offers courses in both languages.

My wife is French but has been speaking English well for the last 30 years. When we watch DVD's of American films in their original versions, she always asks for the sub-titles to be displayed as an aid to compre
... See more
As an English resident in France, and ex Royal Air Force officer, it would appear to me that the French have a better understanding of the differences between English and "American" than most English-speakers. Their military language school offers courses in both languages.

My wife is French but has been speaking English well for the last 30 years. When we watch DVD's of American films in their original versions, she always asks for the sub-titles to be displayed as an aid to comprehension.

The only American I have ever read who writes in English is Bill Bryson. If you can attain his standard then you should accept work to be translated into UK English ... otherwise, steer well clear!
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Well, yes... Jul 21, 2008

Anthony Lines wrote:

The only American I have ever read who writes in English is Bill Bryson. If you can attain his standard then you should accept work to be translated into UK English ... otherwise, steer well clear!

He spent half of his lifetime (so far) in England.

blacksake
blacksake
Mexico
Local time: 12:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same here... Aug 1, 2008

This issue has happened to me too. I think it has to do a lot with some of the grammatical distorsion that American vs British English has. There are some of exception that British people tend to do when treating certain situations and also modisms. There's also the standarization of English that intervienes with the problem.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
My opinion Aug 9, 2008

You should only ever translate into your mother tongue. If American English is your mother tongue you should only translate into American English. Same goes for British English.

The differences are not just matters of spelling.

Helen Farrell
Helen Farrell  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:31
Italian to English
+ ...
mother tongue only Sep 11, 2008

If I'm working with a new client, I always emphasise the fact that I am only prepared to translate into my mother tongue, which is British English. Given the number of cook books I've worked on, as both a translator and an editor, in this genre I can guarantee that the two versions of English are worlds apart. As translators, we should only ever be translating into our mother tongue and I think that rule applies here as well. Switching on the spell checker is one thing, knowing the nuances of a ... See more
If I'm working with a new client, I always emphasise the fact that I am only prepared to translate into my mother tongue, which is British English. Given the number of cook books I've worked on, as both a translator and an editor, in this genre I can guarantee that the two versions of English are worlds apart. As translators, we should only ever be translating into our mother tongue and I think that rule applies here as well. Switching on the spell checker is one thing, knowing the nuances of a language is another.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating into UK English

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »