FR>EN Recommend me some books please.
Thread poster: Nikolas Goodrich
Nikolas Goodrich
Local time: 10:49
French to English
+ ...
Aug 1, 2008

I'm just a budding translator but I've been speaking French for years now and I think I'm ready to really start working, but as everyone knows here speaking two languages doesn't make you a good translator. So could anyone recommend me some books about translating from French to English?

I'd like to practice for the next few months before I even start looking for work. Maybe some sort of Workbook or website that really helps out (besides proz.com)

Thanks, it would be much appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

hannahroberts
Canada
Local time: 10:49
French to English
+ ...
Termium Aug 13, 2008

Hi Nikolas,
I'm a huge fan of Termium. which I use daily in my work and enjoy browsing in my spare time. It ain't cheap, but it's tax deductible.
http://www.termium.com
Created by the Government of Canada, it is mainly a bilingual (French and English) glossary of various terms, but it has a number of writing tools and articles on translation that are included in the description.
For free, the Translation Bureau of the Government of Canada, which produces Termium, offers some tips and resources, too.
http://www.translationbureau.gc.ca/index.php?lang=english&cont=001
I hope these will help,
Hannh

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FR>EN Recommend me some books please.

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search