https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/114118-what_does_your_back_translation_look_like_take_ii.html

Off topic: What does your back-translation look like (take II)
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:57
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aug 31, 2008

G'day everyone

Some translators from the previous thread preferred not to have seen the original source text when they do the back-translation, so here is a piece of text for that.

This is an attempt to see what people mean when they speak of a back-translation. If you have done back-translation for a client before, please
... See more
G'day everyone

Some translators from the previous thread preferred not to have seen the original source text when they do the back-translation, so here is a piece of text for that.

This is an attempt to see what people mean when they speak of a back-translation. If you have done back-translation for a client before, please do the following:

1. Go to http://www.proz.com/ (ProZ.com home page)
2. Scroll to the bottom, and select your language from the drop-down list
3. When the home page has reloaded in your language, scroll down and copy the section in italics that states that the site is still being translated.
4. Back-translate it into English, and post it here.

Collapse

Luis Arri Cibils
Luis Arri Cibils  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
A suggestion Aug 31, 2008

Hi Samuel,

Sorry, I did not understand your instructions. My post is redundant.

Luis

[Edited at 2008-09-01 01:27]

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 19:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Talk about flogging a dead horse ... Sep 1, 2008

Errrr...

Sorry, Samuel, but much as I'd like to help I can't. My mother tongue is English, so...

MediaMatrix

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Here goes Sep 1, 2008

From French:

You must know that the site hasn't been completely translated yet. Site localisation is done step by step and translation priority is given to the most visited pages. If you find a translation mistake in a localised page, thanks for advising one of the coordinators mentioned.

I tried to do the best possible backtranslation. That is, I tried to render even the expressions as used in French. So, I believe this is a rather straight backtranslation, and that is why it probably feels like a translation. Please, note the incorrect sentence structure in the last sentence. It seems a noun was substituted for a verb in French - I carried the mistake over in my backtranslation. Can you see it?

[Edited at 2008-09-01 07:03]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To get get the ball rolling Sep 1, 2008

From Afrikaans:
Remember, not the entire site is translated yet. Site localisation takes place in phases. The most active parts of the site are translated first. If you spot an error in the translation of any part of the site that is localised already, please inform one of the localisation coordinators below.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to participate in this thread, se
... See more
From Afrikaans:
Remember, not the entire site is translated yet. Site localisation takes place in phases. The most active parts of the site are translated first. If you spot an error in the translation of any part of the site that is localised already, please inform one of the localisation coordinators below.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to participate in this thread, seeing that I'm one of the ProZ.com localisers into my language, so there may be some influence. Still, I don't see any other Afrikaans people around here, and I can't rightly ask for translations if I don't provide one myself, now can I?
Collapse

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dutch Sep 1, 2008

Let op: deze site is slechts gedeeltelijk vertaald. We vertalen ProZ.com in fasen. De meestgebruikte onderdelen vertalen we eerst. Wanneer u een fout ziet in reeds vertaalde onderdelen, neem dan contact op met één van bovenstaande lokalisatiecoördinatoren. Bij voorbaat dank!

Please note: this site has only been translated partially. We translate Proz.com in phases. The parts that are used most, are translated first. When you spot an error in parts that already have been translate
... See more
Let op: deze site is slechts gedeeltelijk vertaald. We vertalen ProZ.com in fasen. De meestgebruikte onderdelen vertalen we eerst. Wanneer u een fout ziet in reeds vertaalde onderdelen, neem dan contact op met één van bovenstaande lokalisatiecoördinatoren. Bij voorbaat dank!

Please note: this site has only been translated partially. We translate Proz.com in phases. The parts that are used most, are translated first. When you spot an error in parts that already have been translated, please contact one of the localization coordinators mentioned above. Thanks in advance!

Note that I'm not a native speaker of English, so this translation might be the best possible one.
Collapse

NecdetB
NecdetB  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 02:57
German to Turkish
+ ...
From Turkish Sep 1, 2008

Please bear in mind that the whole site hasn't been translated yet. Site localization has been proceeding phase by phase and the parts used most are translated first. If you come across a mistake in the translation of any part of the site, please contact one of the localization coordinators above.

Alex Farrell (X)
Alex Farrell (X)  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:57
Japanese to English
Japanese to English Sep 3, 2008

(If you don't have Asian scripts installed on your OS, the first paragraph below will look like gobblety-gook.)

サイト内のすべてのページが翻訳されているとは限りません。 現在、このサイトのローカリゼーションが行われており、最も利用頻度の高いページから翻訳されています。 サイト内のローカリゼーション済みの部分に誤訳等があった場合は、上記のローカリゼーションコーディ�
... See more
(If you don't have Asian scripts installed on your OS, the first paragraph below will look like gobblety-gook.)

サイト内のすべてのページが翻訳されているとは限りません。 現在、このサイトのローカリゼーションが行われており、最も利用頻度の高いページから翻訳されています。 サイト内のローカリゼーション済みの部分に誤訳等があった場合は、上記のローカリゼーションコーディネータまで連絡してください。

Not all pages on this site have been translated. The site is presently being localized, and only the most frequently used pages have been translated. If you find any mistranslations in localized areas of the site, please contact one of the above localization coordinators.
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Italian to English Sep 8, 2008

Please note that the project is not completed yet. The localization is proceeding in phases, giving priority to the most popular parts of the site. If you spot a mistake in any part already localized, please contact one of the coordinators of the localization team, whose names are listed above. Thank you.

PS. I am not native speaker of English, so.. this is the best I can do

Fredrik Nowacki
Fredrik Nowacki  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Swedish to English Sep 8, 2008

Observera att hela webbplatsen inte har översatts än. Översättning av webbplatsen pågår i etapper. De mest aktiva delarna på webbplatsen översätts först. Om du hittar något fel i översättningen i någon del som redan har översatts ber vi dig meddela någon av ovanstående översättningssamordnare.

Observe that the whole website has not been translated yet. Translation of the website proceeds in stages. The most active parts of the website are translated first. If you
... See more
Observera att hela webbplatsen inte har översatts än. Översättning av webbplatsen pågår i etapper. De mest aktiva delarna på webbplatsen översätts först. Om du hittar något fel i översättningen i någon del som redan har översatts ber vi dig meddela någon av ovanstående översättningssamordnare.

Observe that the whole website has not been translated yet. Translation of the website proceeds in stages. The most active parts of the website are translated first. If you find any error in the translation, of any part that already has been translated, we ask you to notify someone of the above translation coordinators.

This would me a humble first take of mine. I added commas to the last sentence on purpose since I think it becomes way too cramped otherwise.
Collapse

Michael Sloggett
Michael Sloggett  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 09:57
Thai to English
Thai to English Sep 9, 2008

โปรดทราบว่าเว็บไซต์นี้ยังแปลไม่แล้วเสร็จ การทำโลคัลไลซ์ดำเนินเป็นขั้นตอน โดยแปลส่วนที่มีการใช้งานบ่อยก่อน หากคุณพบเห็นข้อผิดพลาดในการแปลไซต์ที่โลคัลไลซ์แล้ว โปรดแจ้งให้ผ�... See more
โปรดทราบว่าเว็บไซต์นี้ยังแปลไม่แล้วเสร็จ การทำโลคัลไลซ์ดำเนินเป็นขั้นตอน โดยแปลส่วนที่มีการใช้งานบ่อยก่อน หากคุณพบเห็นข้อผิดพลาดในการแปลไซต์ที่โลคัลไลซ์แล้ว โปรดแจ้งให้ผู้ประสานงานแปลคนหนึ่งคนใดในข้างต้นได้รับทราบ

Please be aware that the translation of this website has not yet been completed. Localisation is done in stages, with often-used sections being translated first. If you find any translation errors in the localised site, please inform any one of the translation coordinators above.
Collapse

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Could be interesting to quote the original text that had to be translated ? Sep 27, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

From French:

I tried to do the best possible backtranslation. That is, I tried to render even the expressions as used in French. So, I believe this is a rather straight backtranslation, and that is why it probably feels like a translation. Please, note the incorrect sentence structure in the last sentence. It seems a noun was substituted for a verb in French - I carried the mistake over in my backtranslation. Can you see it?

[Edited at 2008-09-01 07:03]

Pour sincèrement juger d'une rétrotraduction, il serait intéressant de pouvoir comparer le rétro à l'ori ?

Alors l'ori il est ici :

Please note that the entire site has not yet been translated. Site localization is proceeding in stages, with the most active site areas being translated first. If you find an error in the translation of any part of the site that has already been localized, please notify one of the localization coordinators above.

Des commentaires supplémentaires ?

OM

Gerard Jimenez (X)
Gerard Jimenez (X)  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
English to Spanish
+ ...
My back translation Sep 29, 2008

Hi guys, I'm just starting to rev up in the site to see if I am well suited to become a freelancer. This is my first post in the forums and part of my, very, limited activity among the site. Anyway here's my back-translation...

Todavía no se ha traducido la totalidad del sitio. Se está localizando por etapas, dando prioridad a las áreas de más actividad. Si encuentra algún error en cualquier zona del sitio ya traducida, por favor notifíquelo a uno de los coordinadores de localización arriba indicados.

Please note that the whole site has not been translated yet. The site is being localized in stages, prioritizing most active areas. If you find an error in the translation of any part of the site, pleast notify one of the localization coordinators mentioned above.

I would gladly take any sugestion or errors found in this post.

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
What ... Oct 1, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:
This is an attempt to see what people mean when they speak of a back-translation. If you have done back-translation for a client before, please do the following:

... , if anything, have you drawn as conclusions from this exercise, Samuel?

MediaMatrix

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What does your back-translation look like (take II)

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »