Profile Feedback (after massive modifications)
Thread poster: Sébastien Ricciardi

Sébastien Ricciardi  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:53
English to French
+ ...
Sep 16, 2008

Thank you to all of you that provided great feedback.
(see http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/114907-profile_feedback.html)

According to those, I have made massive changes :
(see http://www.proz.com/profile/887876 )

- Modified sample translations
- Increased rates, especially in SW->FR pair
- Completely changed the description, now in full HTML with links to the credentials
- Deleted Voiceover and dubbing services
- Left interpreting only in EN->FR
- Rewrote the CV
- Created a website (well, only the main page so far)

What I haven't done yet but plan to do :
- Contact outsourcers in my spec
- Have more sample translations in various fields
- Write the project thistory

Everybody is welcomed to give a look to http://www.proz.com/profile/887876 and make comments either on the improvement or on what's still missing or shouldn't be there.

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Offtopic: perceptions about photos Sep 17, 2008

Sébastien Ricciardi wrote:
Everybody is welcomed to give a look to http://www.proz.com/profile/887876 and make comments either on the improvement or on what's still missing or shouldn't be there.

This is not really on topic, but looking at your photo it reminded me (again) how different cultures have different impressions about the way a person looks. Your hair style and choice of dress would not have won you any contracts in my country, because they make you look like someone who's just finished his high school mid-year exams. But... I realise that in your country your photo might exude cool business-like confidence. So, no insult is intended.

I think it can be quite englightening to look at people's photos here on ProZ.com. I realise that some people just have only one photo and that's the photo they use. Others prefer a more candid snapshot (not specifically styled for professionalism). I have seen quite a number of driving licence photos too.

To get back on topic, then... what are you trying to say with your photo?

PS. Feel free to insult me liberally about my photo... I would only find it interesting.

[Edited at 2008-09-17 06:21]

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:53
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
The photo is fine... Sep 17, 2008

... as far as I'm concerned, though I personally would have straightened the tie if I was bothering to wear one.

Your rates are still to damned low as far as I am concerned, especially for someone with an education in science and engineering. These are the rates I would expect to see in Europe for someone with a skill set which is not particularly in demand. Be prepared to raise your word rates quickly once work starts coming in. Raise your hourly rates now. I don't know what rate you translate at, but assuming you do about 300 words/hour, you'll make more doing piecework than hourly translation. The idea is to make roughly the same money no matter what you are doing. Also bear in mind that while 25 euros an hour might sound good to a young person, as a freelancer you are covering your own business expenses, and that rate will afford you a pretty crappy lifestyle. If I see hourly rates that low, I think "amateur". Even the local handymen with no education here in the eastern part of Germany charge more! Figure out your average translation speed for various types of text, then do the math and set your hourly rates accordingly!

Ditch the KudoZ statistics on your CV. Nobody gives a damn and it won't help you in any way. I like the general CV format and its brevity. There are a few things to clean up in the content (it's "Adobe Reader" - fix the capitalization - and "Native speaker of French", not "Native in French", for example), but on the whole it's a good job. I would distribute it as a PDF rather than an MS Word doc, though there are valid arguments for leaving it in a more "accessible" format. If you want to do that, try RTF. Personally, I prefer PDF, because you can put a password on the file and limit what can be done to it a bit.

Hide the forum posts on your profile. You do NOT want potential customers reading forum threads about how you are trying to find your way in the profession!

Invest € 100 or so and become a paid ProZ member. The access to Blue Board information and faster access to job posting info (among other things) is worth the investment.

Get going with those extra translation examples for your profile. They may make a big difference at this stage.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, the Kudoz statistics... Sep 17, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Ditch the KudoZ statistics on your CV.

The problem is that they change every day! For example, if the last 3 months are covered, that means the dates are shifted by one day each day, and that might shift your position in the league from one day to the next. Once you get busy, you will not have time to update them every day. In any case, your place in the league will keep dropping as you get busier. Therefore, it is probably a good idea to do away with those.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Photos Sep 17, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:
PS. Feel free to insult me liberally about my photo... I would only find it interesting.

Oh Samuel, please don't offer this opportunity again or I will not be able to get hold of myself!

Hugs,
Tomás

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Heh-heh Sep 17, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

Oh Samuel, please don't offer this opportunity again or I will not be able to get hold of myself!

Heh-heh-heh...

Gina Ferlisi
Italy
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
More info Sep 17, 2008

Very nice now!!
Even if i have not got my photo on my profile.. I prefer to leave it only on my Cv which can be downloaded from my page, however, i agree with Samuel about the photo, it is a nice photo but a more casual photo would be nicer...

Write the project history and put samples in many fields as possible, this has helped me a lot and if you want add a touch of colour to your page..see mine for ideas

http://www.proz.com/profile/675086

Good luck!!

p.s i do not think it is important to put your Kudoz statistics..agencies don't check that.. i agree with Astrid to ditch that !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Profile Feedback (after massive modifications)

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search