Thread poster: Richard Lund
Richard Lund
United States
Local time: 01:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 1, 2008

Hi, Folks.
I'm a newb too and was looking for a good general forum. I've used the ProZ term search quite a bit in the past but never got around to signing up. I'm not a freelancer but I'm pretty much flying solo here because I am the only translator for my company. My company recently purchased a copy of SDL TRADOS and has given me the green light to start translating some of our brochures, etc. I'm very happy for the growth opportunity but feeling a little overwhelmed by it all, especially since I've never done CAT before.
Mostly looking for good group of folks who want to share translation tips, tricks and other experiences and I'll do my best to return the favor. Feel free to tell me where to go
Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:18
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Welcome to Proz Oct 1, 2008

Hi!

For basic knowledge of Trados, you can visit www.translationzone.com, where you´ll find recorded webinars that contain the basics of Trados Workbench and Multiterm.

You can also search the SDL Trados Support Forum, where you´ll find tips on various functions, or read this guide for dummies (http://life.bizland.com/trados.htm), it was very useful to me when I started using the software.

But the best place to start is reading the documentation that comes with the software.

Regards,
Marina

[Edited at 2008-10-01 20:20]

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:18
Italian to English
Don't forget... Oct 1, 2008

... the TW_users Yahoo group:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/

which has a useful searchable archive.

Good luck!

Giles

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:18
English to French
+ ...
Also visit Ecolotrain Oct 1, 2008

This website has some neat free courses on using Trados, but also on using Word, other CAT tools, MultiTerm, translation project management, etc.

http://ecolotrain.uni-saarland.de/index.php?id=2525&L=1

[Edited at 2008-10-01 23:31]

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:18
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
And don't give up! Oct 2, 2008

Spend time learning how it works before you begin in earnest.
If you need to go on a day-course and learn to use the thing, get your firm to pay for one and give you time off, because it is well worth the expenditure against the time you save afterwards. I don't know where you live, but you can see on the SDL site or under Community/Trainings on this site if there are any near you.
http://www.proz.com/translator_training

Trados is NOT intuitive, and you're not stupid if you don't understand all the smart features at once. I hated it at first.
It is a real advantage if you can get someone who knows how it works to show you, and then you don't have to find out by trial and error.

When you have accumulated a Translation Memory and a so-called concordance, it is a real help, even with texts that do not immediately give matches.

TagEditor is either brilliant or totally frustrating, depending on whether it works as intended...

Get 'live' help if you need it with Multiterm, because it can be a pain until you get it up and running, but believe me, I couldn't do without it now.
You can get creative and tailor it to your own needs...

I enter things I can't find in dictionaries, clients' own terminology and the titles of their staff, and I even enter words correctly typed where I always make typos otherwise (COtober is one of my pet hates, and ONvember is on teh way ) Multiterm inserts them for you ...

It takes patience, but it is well worth the effort.
Best of luck!

Richard Lund
United States
Local time: 01:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everybody! Oct 3, 2008

Thanks everybody. This is exactly what I'm looking for; a place for the open exchange of information and ideas. I have bookmarked the suggested sites and will review the information there frequently.
I have taken the Level 1 Trados certification TRAINING (thought it'd be a good place to start). I thought it was a good class but I was thinking it was going to cover more of a "getting started" situation. It's been helpful to go back and review the materials as I plug through the manuals. I completely agree with Christine in that TRADOS is not intuitive. I'm not a quitter and I am lucky enough to have down time for the moment so I can spend most of my day working through tutorials and applying knowledge. It's slow going for now but I'm hoping 6 months from now, it'll be a lot easier.
Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll happily return favors if/whenever possible.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:18
English to French
+ ...
It's a pleasure Oct 10, 2008

I am glad that you found the information you were looking for.

You - and Christine - are right: Trados is anything but intuitive. But it packs a punch all the same. It's a pity most of us don't uncover that punch because by the time we would, we are totally disappointed and discouraged by Trados. Keep at it. If you are as patient as you seem to be, you will realize that Trados can go way beyond creating and applying TMs. Make sure you learn as much of it as you can early on - this will benefit you somewhere down the road.

Having said that, there are also several other CAT tools that can go as long a way as Trados and are mostly cheaper as well. Once you learn quite a bit about Trados, you will be able to apply that knowledge to other tools as well. You will not need to complete a course for each CAT tool. So, don't be afraid to try new stuff if you suspect that there may be something else that suits your needs better.

All the best!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to Proz, Trados, etc.

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search