https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/118889-what_film_would_you_choose.html

Off topic: What film would you choose?
Thread poster: n.dematteis
n.dematteis
n.dematteis
Germany
Local time: 12:14
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 25, 2008

My dissertation will be focused on dubbing and translation. I need to analyse a Woody Allen film so I'm asking you: which one do you think is the most interesting from a translator's point of view? I should focus on issues relating to language rather than culture, otherwise I would have to write a thousand pages...
Thank you in advance...

Michelle Plaistow
Michelle Plaistow  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
The most interesting Nov 20, 2008

You should definitely choose whichever is the most interesting for you, first and foremost! Unless you have any specific favourite, or one that you know holds lots of cultural references or metaphor or whatever. Or even better, whichever one you can get a hold of easily. Believe me - I am having HUGE problems getting my dissertation corpus!

I'm a bit confused about the whole "language not culture" part of you request though. Surely language and culture are inextricably in
... See more
You should definitely choose whichever is the most interesting for you, first and foremost! Unless you have any specific favourite, or one that you know holds lots of cultural references or metaphor or whatever. Or even better, whichever one you can get a hold of easily. Believe me - I am having HUGE problems getting my dissertation corpus!

I'm a bit confused about the whole "language not culture" part of you request though. Surely language and culture are inextricably intertwined?
Collapse

Verse 5B (X)
Verse 5B (X)
English to Serbian
+ ...
,,, Nov 21, 2008

pinkymp wrote:

I'm a bit confused about the whole "language not culture" part of you request though. Surely language and culture are inextricably intertwined?

Perhaps he needs to focus on the language that the author used in his script? That could be " language aspect of a movie"

We all know Woodie Allen is also a script writer, besides being a director and actor.

And a quite good writer..

[Edited at 2008-11-21 09:51 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What film would you choose?

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »