Thread poster: Valeria_C
Valeria_C
Valeria_C
Local time: 12:59
English to Italian
+ ...
Nov 4, 2008

Hallo everybody,
I need some information about converting PDF files in ttx files or rtf files to be then modified in TagEditor, and back again.
I'm not such an expert about these issues. Should I have some particular software?
Can somebody explain me this process in brief?
Thank you very much.

V.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:59
Member (2008)
Italian to English
you need Nov 4, 2008

you need Adobe Acrobat Professional.

Valeria_C
Valeria_C
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is there a particular procedure to follow? Nov 4, 2008

Thanks Tom!

As I said, I'm not such an expert with these issues!
Is there a particular procedure to follow? Does the guide esplain how to convert files?

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
No you don't Nov 4, 2008

You don't need Adobe Acrobat at all.
For the conversion PDF > text there are numerous free tools available on the web. Do a search for 'conversion pdf text' or something like that and take your pick.
For the conversion text > PDF you can use a so-called PDF-printer. This is a program that fools Windows into thinking you have an extra printer installed. When you print to this printer, nothing appears on paper, but a PDF file is created in stead. Again, there are many free tools availa
... See more
You don't need Adobe Acrobat at all.
For the conversion PDF > text there are numerous free tools available on the web. Do a search for 'conversion pdf text' or something like that and take your pick.
For the conversion text > PDF you can use a so-called PDF-printer. This is a program that fools Windows into thinking you have an extra printer installed. When you print to this printer, nothing appears on paper, but a PDF file is created in stead. Again, there are many free tools available on the web. I personally use Bullzip PDF Printer which does the job quite nicely, but doesn't have too many bells and whistles.
HTH.
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
But, but Nov 4, 2008

Valeria_C wrote:

I'm not such an expert about these issues. Should I have some particular software?

V.

It is your main field! (Computers (general) Computers: Hardware
Computers: Software Computers: Systems, Networks
IT (Information Technology))

Anyway, PDF is a format made for printing, any solution to "get" the text out from a PDF is just a "last solution" if you have not the "real" document. That means, more work and less accuracy. So, better try first to get the original document.

Regards

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Valeria Nov 4, 2008

What about converting PDFs, please take a look at http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/128/

HTH,
Natalia

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:59
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
PDFs and scanned documents= annoyance! Nov 8, 2008

I just got a bunch of short letters to translate. They're PDF documents but I think they're scanned. I used ZAMZAR to convert them. However, they converted it to Word (i'm using W 2003 for Win XP) but it's RTF format and i can't edit it or do anything.

I'm getting wordfast which i hear makes your life easier. In the meantime: any advice on what to do? they're in letter format and the agency likes when you keep the formatting. But not much can be done with scanned documents...
... See more
I just got a bunch of short letters to translate. They're PDF documents but I think they're scanned. I used ZAMZAR to convert them. However, they converted it to Word (i'm using W 2003 for Win XP) but it's RTF format and i can't edit it or do anything.

I'm getting wordfast which i hear makes your life easier. In the meantime: any advice on what to do? they're in letter format and the agency likes when you keep the formatting. But not much can be done with scanned documents...

any tips for time saving in a situation like this? any online free tools to convert scanned documents to text? doing 'save as' does NOTHING.
I hate PDFs for the most part...gah.
Collapse

Nguyen Dieu
Nguyen Dieu  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 18:59
Member (2008)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
ABBYY! Nov 10, 2008

You can try ABBYY software.

MBlanshay wrote:

any tips for time saving in a situation like this? any online free tools to convert scanned documents to text? doing 'save as' does NOTHING.
I hate PDFs for the most part...gah.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting PDF files in ttx/rtf files and back again

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »