Have you ever used electronic stamp in your translation?
Thread poster: Edward LIU

Edward LIU  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:25
Chinese to English
+ ...
Nov 6, 2008

Recently one of my client asked me to scan and copy my certified translator stamp in my translation (word file). I was told that quite a few certified translators are using this electronic stamp as well.

If you are a certified translator in your country, have you ever encountered such a request?

I learnt that some translators just put a text line draw box on each page, then copy their seals inside that and such a practice has been accepted on the market this way.

To me this can neither prove anything, nor can it prevent subsequent modifications. In adobe, there is a function to create a digital signature, but the signature only accepts letters not pictures. There is also a watermark function in Adobe, but anyone can copy the watermark and reuse it afterwards. It seems to me that the electronic stamp applied this way cannot indicate anything, except serving the purpose of easier printing and electronic storage, because it cannot prevent the document from being altered.

What is even worrisome is this electronic stamp can be easily copied and affixed on other translation without your permission or even awareness, which can bring up some potential legal issues.

This topic is somehow different that of an electronic signature, which has been required in Germany and Australia for tax purpose in invoices.

I would be grateful if our colleagues (especially certified translators) can shed me some lights on this question.

Direct link Reply with quote

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:25
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
No! Nov 8, 2008

As far as I am aware, this scanning and placement of the stamp and signature is not acceptable in a legal sense. In Germany, for example, I am told that a few states (NRW among them I think) are accepting electronic signatures (of the type accepted for invoices, etc.) of certified translators for court documents, but this is not yet a general practice. Simply copying a graphic into a document offers no means of validation as you pointed out, and thus would not stand up to a challenge. The fact that some translators may be stupid enough to do this and some others unscrupulous or ignorant enough to allow them to do so does not change the basic legal issues.

[Edited at 2008-11-08 08:30]

Edward LIU  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:25
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to Kevin! Nov 10, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:

As far as I am aware, this scanning and placement of the stamp and signature is not acceptable in a legal sense. In Germany, for example, I am told that a few states (NRW among them I think) are accepting electronic signatures (of the type accepted for invoices, etc.) of certified translators for court documents, but this is not yet a general practice. Simply copying a graphic into a document offers no means of validation as you pointed out, and thus would not stand up to a challenge. The fact that some translators may be stupid enough to do this and some others unscrupulous or ignorant enough to allow them to do so does not change the basic legal issues.

[Edited at 2008-11-08 08:30]

Thank you, Kevin. I know that you are right, but sometimes, we as translators do not want to upset our clients, so we are placed in a dilemma. Since there have been very few replies to this forum topic, I would assume that most certified translators have not met similar requests.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you ever used electronic stamp in your translation?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search