Thread poster: Michelle Plaistow
Michelle Plaistow
Michelle Plaistow  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:39
French to English
+ ...
Nov 20, 2008

Hi all,

I'm currently working on my MA dissertation on the norms of translation of health and safety information aimed at workers and employers from French to English. I've found lots of useful stuff on the French INRS site, and the UK HSE site, so I can make some useful comparisons. But I'm having trouble finding the genuinely translated stuff.
I assume that this must exist somewhere along the line, but I'm assuming that the nature of this type of text might make for a mo
... See more
Hi all,

I'm currently working on my MA dissertation on the norms of translation of health and safety information aimed at workers and employers from French to English. I've found lots of useful stuff on the French INRS site, and the UK HSE site, so I can make some useful comparisons. But I'm having trouble finding the genuinely translated stuff.
I assume that this must exist somewhere along the line, but I'm assuming that the nature of this type of text might make for a more covert translation.
Does anyone know where I might be able to find such information? For example, French companies that employ British workers? In fact, any ideas about what the reasons why this material may be trasnlated would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Michelle
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:39
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Fiche de données de sécurité Material safety data sheet Nov 20, 2008

Searching the net with these words you'll find a lot of multilingual data sheets for all kind of material.
I often translate such sheets DE-FI-DE, and have noticed that countries have different ways of handling these informations. So a French producer of material A might compile her sheet in a different way from a British producer for the same material.

Hope I understood what you meant

Regards
Heinrich

Michelle Plaistow
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's (almost) what I'm looking for Nov 20, 2008

Thanks for your response,

That's the kind of issue I want to investigate. That a translator might pick up a French text, but there is a lot more to be done than just the linguistic translation, so many other aspects will need to be changed too.

Those data sheets weren't really the kind of information I had been looking for, but I might check them out. I was looking more for safety information leaflets handed out to workers or employers concerning specific issues conce
... See more
Thanks for your response,

That's the kind of issue I want to investigate. That a translator might pick up a French text, but there is a lot more to be done than just the linguistic translation, so many other aspects will need to be changed too.

Those data sheets weren't really the kind of information I had been looking for, but I might check them out. I was looking more for safety information leaflets handed out to workers or employers concerning specific issues concerning health and safety, for example, "How to avoid exposure to asbestos". So far I only seem to be able to find Canadian material, but I would rather work with French French and British English, as I am more comfortable with them, and also as the legal implications will be the same in some aspects (maybe due to EU laws) and different in others (national laws), which is another aspect to investigate.

I have so far emailed the INRS in France and the HSE in the UK, who both provide this information within their respective countries, but I have not yet had any response. Does anyone know of any other bodies or organisations which may be able to help?

[Edited at 2008-11-20 15:00 GMT]
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:39
French to English
+ ...
Contact HSE themselves? Nov 20, 2008

Hi Michelle,

I do a lot of work for the Health & Safety Executive in the UK. If you contact their Language Services Department in Bootle, they may be able to give you the kind of information you're looking for.

Good luck!

Claire

Michelle Plaistow
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Their language services are in Bootle? Nov 20, 2008

Wow, I didn't know that. I used to live so close.

Anyway, I have sent an online query to them. I might try calling them there though. Thanks very much.

PRen (X)
PRen (X)
Canada
Local time: 21:39
French to English
+ ...
Oops Nov 20, 2008

pinkymp wrote:

So far I only seem to be able to find Canadian material,

Ahem, perhaps "provided with" Canadian material!

Michelle Plaistow
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What do you mean? Nov 21, 2008

PRen wrote:

pinkymp wrote:

So far I only seem to be able to find Canadian material,

Ahem, perhaps "provided with" Canadian material!

I'm very sorry, but I don't seem to understand what you're getting at. Do you mean to change my use of "find", because that really is what I meant; I'm not being "provided" with anything, I have to search for it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Norms of Health and Safety leaflets - FR>EN

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »