Back translation vs. double translation: are they the same?
Thread poster: mlconnections

mlconnections
United States
Local time: 06:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 14, 2008

Hello:

I'm interested in the difference between "back translation" and "double translation". I see some references that equate them (translate source to target and then back to source) and others that differentiate them (two independent translators translate from source to target and a third works to reconcile the versions). Any thoughts and/or academic references would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:14
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Reconcile the versions Dec 15, 2008

>and others that differentiate them (two independent translators translate from source to target and a third works to reconcile the versions). <

I agree with this idea: 'double translation' is two-fold translation of one source document. To obtain the finalized version, you need the third translator/editor to reconcile the target documents.
Back translation is also read as reverse translation. Its main puroose is to recheck correctness of the translation. However, cultural aspects make the back translation output awesome.
In a recent jobs, I needed to write tons of comments why the back translations were much different from the source documents: originated from synonyms of source words etc.
Jokingly, I will hear the word 'triple translation,' 'quadraple translation' etc. ......

Soonthon L.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Back translation vs. double translation: are they the same?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search