Looking for Newmark's book
Thread poster: ziggyddx
ziggyddx
English to Polish
Mar 16, 2009

I know that it is a huge request, but I hope that someone will be able to help me. I am looking for one of Peter Newmark's books. I think it is "A textbook of translation". I know it may sound utterly stupid that I don't know what I am looking for, but I found this http://accurapid.com/journal/41culture.htm article on translation procedures and I would really like to know whether the words below are an exact quote from Newmark's book and if so, can any tell me the title, page and year of publication. Please, this is very important for me as I need this one page for my thesis and I can't find it anywhere. I would be greateful for any kind of help.

This is the part of the article I mean:

Newmark (1988b) mentions the difference between translation methods and translation procedures. He writes that, "[w]hile translation methods relate to whole texts, translation procedures are used for sentences and the smaller units of language" (p.81). He goes on to refer to the following methods of translation:

* Word-for-word translation: in which the SL word order is preserved and the words translated singly by their most common meanings, out of context.
* Literal translation: in which the SL grammatical constructions are converted to their nearest TL equivalents, but the lexical words are again translated singly, out of context.
* Faithful translation: it attempts to produce the precise contextual meaning of the original within the constraints of the TL grammatical structures.
* Semantic translation: which differs from 'faithful translation' only in as far as it must take more account of the aesthetic value of the SL text.
* Adaptation: which is the freest form of translation, and is used mainly for plays (comedies) and poetry; the themes, characters, plots are usually preserved, the SL culture is converted to the TL culture and the text is rewritten.
* Free translation: it produces the TL text without the style, form, or content of the original.
* Idiomatic translation: it reproduces the 'message' of the original but tends to distort nuances of meaning by preferring colloquialisms and idioms where these do not exist in the original.
* Communicative translation: it attempts to render the exact contextual meaning of the original in such a way that both content and language are readily acceptable and comprehensible to the readership (1988b: 45-47).

Direct link Reply with quote

Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:39
Member (2003)
French to English
Yes! Mar 16, 2009

The sentence in quotation marks is indeed from Peter Newmark's A Textbook of Translation (1988), p.81. It was reprinted in 2008 by Longman and should be readily available: I bought a copy from Amazon (I think) around September last year. ISBN 0-13-912593-0.

Best,

Karen

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for Newmark's book

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search