https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/133684-my_translation_job_in_shenzhen.html

my translation job in Shenzhen
Thread poster: Tide Lin
Tide Lin
Tide Lin
China
Local time: 23:30
English to Chinese
Apr 27, 2009

Last week, I interpreted for an electronic company in Shenzhen. The boss of this company had people from Hongkong, Germany, and India. I had no problem to understand Hongkong people(I speak Cantonese very well too) and the German guy who spoke good English, but I really couldn't understand the indian people, I aslo wrote my story in my blog, http://translatorchina.blogspot.com/. Is there any way you... See more
Last week, I interpreted for an electronic company in Shenzhen. The boss of this company had people from Hongkong, Germany, and India. I had no problem to understand Hongkong people(I speak Cantonese very well too) and the German guy who spoke good English, but I really couldn't understand the indian people, I aslo wrote my story in my blog, http://translatorchina.blogspot.com/. Is there any way you can understand India people better? thanksCollapse

Sushan Harshe
Sushan Harshe
India
Local time: 21:00
English to Hindi
+ ...
There is nothing about Indian People in the Blog Apr 30, 2009

Hi Tide,
I had no problem to understand Hongkong people(I speak Cantonese very well too) and the German guy who spoke good English, but I really couldn't understand the indian people, I aslo wrote my story in my blog,

I went through your blog, and I do not find anything in their. as the way you mention here.

May be you are trying to
... See more
Hi Tide,
I had no problem to understand Hongkong people(I speak Cantonese very well too) and the German guy who spoke good English, but I really couldn't understand the indian people, I aslo wrote my story in my blog,

I went through your blog, and I do not find anything in their. as the way you mention here.

May be you are trying to market yourself!

After all as many businesspersons; those much styles!

anyway

Best of luck!!
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:00
German to English
Dealing with Indian accents May 1, 2009

Tide Lin wrote:
Is there any way you can understand India people better?

I've heard many non-Indians saying that they find the Indian accent in English difficult to follow. Many educated Indians actually speak very well and with only a slight accent, but there can be cases where the accent is very strong. However, it's not just Indians, you could have the same problem with a strong Irish, Scottish or Australian accent

If you know in advance that there are going to people at a conference or meeting you are interpreting at with whom the accent or particular "type" of English is going to be problem, you could ask for a summary of what they are going to be discussing in writing in advance. If you are interpreting a speech or a presentation, this shouldn't be a problem at all. Of course, if you are interpreting a spontaneous discussion, there will be problems if you don't understand the accent, and I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions on what you could do in such cases.

All the best,
Niraja

Kathryn Sanderson
Kathryn Sanderson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:30
French to English
A further suggestion..... May 1, 2009

If you have time before a conference, and you know that speakers of an unfamiliar (to you) variety of English will be there, you may be able to find webcasts or podcasts or clips on You-Tube in the target dialect. That way, you'll be able to familiarize yourself with the general speech patterns and variants in pronunciation. I interpret for French-speaking patients from West Africa, and I've been looking for audio and video on line so that I can get more familiar with that variety of French. <... See more
If you have time before a conference, and you know that speakers of an unfamiliar (to you) variety of English will be there, you may be able to find webcasts or podcasts or clips on You-Tube in the target dialect. That way, you'll be able to familiarize yourself with the general speech patterns and variants in pronunciation. I interpret for French-speaking patients from West Africa, and I've been looking for audio and video on line so that I can get more familiar with that variety of French.

Kathryn

[Edited at 2009-05-03 18:01 GMT]
Collapse

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Getting to know the way Indians speak May 3, 2009

Niraja has provided an effective method to know better of the indian accent. In most of the cases, listening comprehension depends not merely on the pronouncations, but also the words the speaker might use.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 11:30
How is it related to the translation business? May 3, 2009

Sushan Harshe wrote:

I browsed your blog and find your height: 1.78 M.

Why do you make your height public? Is it somewhat related to the translation business?

About Me

Translator China
I am working as a freelancer, translator (interpreter), inspector (QC engineer), in Shenzhen China. Male, 28 y/o, 178cm, bachelor's degree, major in mechanical and electronic engineering.

Tide Lin
Tide Lin
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 4, 2009

Thank you for all your advices, thank you Niraja and Kathryn. I just found myself embarassed when I couldn't understand some people (like some indian people) as an interpreter. That was why I had to put my question here.

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:30
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not the way to market yourself May 4, 2009

Sushan Harshe wrote:
May be you are trying to market yourself!

I would not recommend it to Tide Lin or anybody else for that matter to market themselves by spilling out details of interpreting assignments, fees, etc. on a blog.
It can be counterproductive!

Tide Lin, you will come across lots of different English accents; some of the natives are even worse.
Listen to various radio programmes to broaden your experiences of familiarisation with various English accents.

Good luck.

Tide Lin
Tide Lin
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Best forum May 4, 2009

I just put a question to get a little help, and I got more than what I expected. Thanks a lot.

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 03:30
Chinese to English
Indian English May 7, 2009

Hello Lin

Good on you for posting this topic! It sounds as if it was a tricky assignment. This article on 'Indian English' might be of interest. I don't know whether the people you met spoke Standard English or Indian English. Whatever, they must have had a strong accent, and perhaps some unfamiliar idioms and jargon as well - I don't know how it is in the computing industry. Indian English is a variant of English. You may also be interested in the interpreting forum on this site,
... See more
Hello Lin

Good on you for posting this topic! It sounds as if it was a tricky assignment. This article on 'Indian English' might be of interest. I don't know whether the people you met spoke Standard English or Indian English. Whatever, they must have had a strong accent, and perhaps some unfamiliar idioms and jargon as well - I don't know how it is in the computing industry. Indian English is a variant of English. You may also be interested in the interpreting forum on this site, and the Chinese forum. Oh my goodness, I hope you don't mind my saying, but 'Indian' needs a capital letter.

Lesley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_English
http://www.proz.com/forum/interpreting-67.html

[Edited at 2009-05-08 02:38 GMT]
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 03:30
Chinese to English
Shenzhen; terms of employment May 11, 2009

Hello again Lin

I was interested in the split between you and the agency for the assignment. I understand that temping agencies in NZ generally take 1/3. I once met an interpreter from Taiwan. Their agent took 2/3 ...

Lesley

[Edited at 2009-05-11 04:31 GMT]

Tide Lin
Tide Lin
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Re:Shenzhen; terms of employment May 11, 2009

Hello Lesley,
It depends, but the agencies usually take a half in Shenzhen, sometimes 1/3 and sometimes 2/3.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

my translation job in Shenzhen

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »