FYI: Article on Machine Translation
Thread poster: Neil Coffey

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:19
French to English
+ ...
May 15, 2009

Just in case anyone's interested, an article I wrote a few days ago entitled Machine Translation: How it Works, What Users Expect, and What They Get.

The article gives a breakdown of the main broad uses to which a MT system is put, and shows some of the main problems that users introduce when they use the tool that can hamper its results. Another interesting finding is users' apparently poor perception of the difference between a "dictionary" and a "translator".

Anyway, hope it's of interest!

Neil

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:19
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Here's another, from Washington Post May 31, 2009

Thanks, I found it informative. The Washington Post had one this week, which makes the same point you do (which I didn't know) about how MT doesn't use language rules, but rather statistics.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/21/AR2009052104697_pf.html
You may need to register to read it.

Niraja Nanjundan  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:49
German to English
Thanks Jun 1, 2009

You make some interesting points in the article. I don't use MT at all, but it seems to be the focus of a lot of current research in universities and also an almost compulsory topic at most translators' conferences these days. I attended a conference in April where there was a session on MT and I'm going to one in August, where, again, machine translation will be discussed. I suppose we should all pay more attention to developments in this area of translation as it seems to be increasingly important.

Sushan Harshe
India
Local time: 11:49
English to Hindi
+ ...
Good intro to MT Jun 1, 2009

Hi Neil,
You nailed a fine work. Knowing MT process will help me understand the programing process, then just using it and assuming limitations.
Thanks a lot!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FYI: Article on Machine Translation

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search