Translation memories: Is it better a big TM (for specific field) or many smaller TMs?
Thread poster: Silvia Barra

Silvia Barra  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:27
English to Italian
+ ...
May 19, 2009

Good morning,
I'd like to have your suggestions/advices about translation memories management.
Now I have some relatively big TMs divided for argument: e.g. one for patents, one for pharmacology/pharmacy, one for medical issues and so on.
I was wondering whether it is better to keep these large TMs or to split them into sub-TMs (e.g., patents related to medicine, patents related to chemistry, etc.).
- Just in case - are there some methods to split big TMs into smaller ones, for example, keeping some segments (general) in each sub-TM?
I know that big TM allow me to find some more concordances in my texts, but also they are more difficult to manage and I fear that mixing arguments sometimes not so close to each other can be somehow misleading.
So, I'd like to know your experience and suggestions on this subject.
Thank you in advance and have a nice day.
Silvia

Direct link Reply with quote

DZiW
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
customer oriented May 19, 2009

Hi Silvia.

As for me I prefer having per-Client TM and a big background TM (wf feature) as a back-up. So, when I work with a certain Client I use my TM created from his previous projects, specific glossary preserving the approved style and the consistency. Also I save INI-files for every Client separately for settings and preferences consistency too.

Cheers

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some answers May 19, 2009

Silvia Barra wrote:
I was wondering whether it is better to keep these large TMs or to split them into sub-TMs (e.g., patents related to medicine, patents related to chemistry, etc.).

I would, yes.

- Just in case - are there some methods to split big TMs into smaller ones, for example, keeping some segments (general) in each sub-TM?

No, you'll just have to create them as you go along.

If you want to split them, you can do word searches to extract likely TUs.

Another tactic may be to simply add "!!! " to the start of every source and target segment, and duplicate the big TM into each subfield, then continue using the entire TM for each subfield, so that you can easily see when a match comes from the "old" section of the TM.

I know that big TM allow me to find some more concordances in my texts...

Your CAT tool should be able to do concordance searches in more than just the active TM. I know WF has this feature. OmT doesn't have it but with OmT you can use multiple TMs and simply give your big TM a warningly name (because in OmT you can see which TM a match is proposed from). I'm not sure about other CAT tools... but I'm sure it must be possible.

...but also they are more difficult to manage and I fear that mixing arguments sometimes not so close to each other can be somehow misleading.

This is a very good reason not to mix different fields in one TM.

Silvia Barra  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Samuel May 26, 2009

Thank you very much for your suggestions and tips&tricks. They're very useful for me, I didn't know the possibility of extracting sub-TM.
Have a nice day
Silvia

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:27
German to English
+ ...
Same here May 26, 2009

DZiW wrote:

Hi Silvia.

As for me I prefer having per-Client TM and a big background TM (wf feature) as a back-up. So, when I work with a certain Client I use my TM created from his previous projects, specific glossary preserving the approved style and the consistency. Also I save INI-files for every Client separately for settings and preferences consistency too.

Cheers

I do this, too, and also use WF. It would be a mess if I had one client's style mixed up with another's. I even have separate TMs within (my) customer folders if the end company has particular style preferences.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation memories: Is it better a big TM (for specific field) or many smaller TMs?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search