Joining the Register of Public Service Interpreters
Thread poster: Linebyline
Linebyline  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:32
French to English
+ ...
Aug 25, 2003

I wondered whether anyone has any comments on joining the Register of Public Service Interpreters, or the Metropolitan Police's own register. I'm a qualified interpreter (MA), but lacking experience. Is it necessary to follow a course to prepare for the exam? Any comments on the different courses available?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Latvian to English
+ ...
Contact the IoL Aug 25, 2003

You're probably best off contacting the National Register of Public Service Interpreters, c/o the Institute of Linguists.
www.iol.org.uk

Linebyline  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NRPSI Aug 26, 2003

Jana Teteris wrote:

You're probably best off contacting the National Register of Public Service Interpreters, c/o the Institute of Linguists.
www.iol.org.uk[/quote]

I've got all the literature from the IOL and from the Metropolitan Police, on the exam and courses etc. I just wondered if anyone had any comment on the exams, which proved the most useful, whether you can get work without them, etc. I'm already a qualified interpreter, so they may accept me as an interim member.

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:02
English to Tamil
+ ...
Refer also to http://www.proz.com/topic/12633 in this connection Aug 26, 2003

You have to obtain the Criminal Records Bureau Enhanced Disclosure before joining the Register of Public Service Interpreters according to the thread above. The initiator of the posting had some apparently insoluble problem in that. I hope he has found the solution in the meantime.

Jo Curtis wrote:

I wondered whether anyone has any comments on joining the Register of Public Service Interpreters, or the Metropolitan Police's own register. I'm a qualified interpreter (MA), but lacking experience. Is it necessary to follow a course to prepare for the exam? Any comments on the different courses available?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Joining the Register of Public Service Interpreters

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search