the finality of translation
Thread poster: r3amo

r3amo
United States
Local time: 05:29
English to Romanian
+ ...
May 21, 2009

my name is ramona, I'm studing english. I'm sorry I disturb with my mail, but anytime I found here nice peope who give my a piece of advice when I asked something. I wonder if you know smth about the finality of translation, I have to write an essay about this, and I don't have any idea about what it means, so any idea it's more than perfect. Thanks a lot, ramona.

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:29
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The finality of translation May 21, 2009

r3amo wrote:
I wonder if you know something about the finality of translation. I have to write an essay about this, and I don't have any idea about what it means.

I know nothing of the finality of translation. It seems to be a literary translation subtheory from the blokes over at East European formalism. Read it and weep: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiří_Levý ... but I could be horribly wrong.

Arthur Godinho  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:29
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The finality of translation May 22, 2009

Could the ‘finality of translation’ refer to the idea that a translator (or interpreter) translates and then his work goes out to the world to be read by the target ‘public’, complete with any personal preferences or slight inaccuracies?
Just a suggestion…

Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I think your teacher meant "the purpose" of translation. May 22, 2009

I'm sure that now you'll be able to get some definitions from your textbooks and write a good essay.

Manuela Dal Castello  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
What can be translated... and what cannot etc May 22, 2009

Hi Ramona,
I think you can have a look at this site and see if you find what you are looking for:
http://courses.logos.it/EN/index.html

I believe that chapters on translation process (19 and following) can give you some hint and some good food for thoughts.

Have a nice day!
Manuela

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
As you can see... May 22, 2009

r3amo wrote:
I wonder if you know smth about the finality of translation, I have to write an essay about this, and I don't have any idea about what it means.

As you can see, dffrnt pple intrprt the topic diffrntly. I'd say, ask yr profssr for a name or a prson who he thnks is an authrty on the "finality of translation", and go frm thr.

Jenny Moussabel
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:29
Italian to English
+ ...
"no translation is ever final"!? May 22, 2009

I wonder if these links may help:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=WFGz7K76p8oC&pg=PR21&lpg=PR21&dq=finality%20of%20translation&source=bl&ots=kmuSstqlqb&sig=lJ3a0pg9-feZKZXxsCsWw_Nxono&hl=en&ei=sGoWSu2TNceMjAfzm9HfDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10

http://www.dalkeyarchive.com/article/show/298

http://translation.utdallas.edu/translationstudies/criticism_essay1.html

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=gOrPqFzNN-IC&dq=rabassa%20if%20This%20Be%20Treason:%20Translation%20and%20Its%20Discontents,%20A%20Memoir&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=R1qmrSBOF6&sig=QXAeLgak0HbxBeI3VQ7iuobxIBc&hl=en&ei=vW8WSoS9A5m7jAf3m6HpDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#PPP1,M1

They discuss the fact that an original piece of work can be translated in various ways by different translators, may be improved upon and also that a translation is sometimes updated for new generations.

Good luck with your essay!

Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:29
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Purpose of Translation May 22, 2009

I agree with Edwal in that the probable theme is "the purpose of translation".

In Portuguese, purpose is "finalidade" which is a false cognate, and from what I know Romanian is similar to Portuguese.

Finality, on the other hand, is defined by Oxford (page 646) as "the impression of being final and irreversible".

So, although "the finality of translation" could indeed be an issue for discussion, I feel "purpose" is much more likely.

chica nueva
Local time: 21:29
Chinese to English
fidelity; ? May 24, 2009

Hello Ramona
It wasn't 'fidelity' (= faithfulness), was it? ...
futility (impossibility) ...

[Edited at 2009-05-24 11:33 GMT]

xxxEric Hahn  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
No end in itself May 24, 2009

I guess the main purpose of a translation is to meet your client's needs.

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Death is final May 24, 2009

But not much else as far as I see it, no matter what fine academic theories one might care to elaborate.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
The purpose of translation May 24, 2009

Eric Hahn wrote:

I guess the main purpose of a translation is to meet your client's needs.

The patron saint of translators is Saint Jerome. Jerome translated the Bible from old Latin (Vulgate) translations. It became the definitive and officially promulgated Latin version of the Christian Bible.

The purpose of translation is a noble one: to spread knowledge and understanding.

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 12:29
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Errr :) May 24, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:
Death is final

Quite a lot of people, including myself, will not agree with you even on this one, not to mention "finality of translation"

Uldis

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
"Purpose" seems likely May 24, 2009

You wrote that you are studying English, not that you are studying translation. In that case, and seeing the comments of Edwal and Paul I think it very likely that "purpose" is what was meant. An essay on such an academic subject as "The finality of translation" might be appropriate in the context of a translation course, but, I think, not in the context of studying English.
I hope you will inform us whether you asked your professor/tutor and if so, what was the reply.

Oliver

chica nueva
Local time: 21:29
Chinese to English
translation: definition; some other 'pointers' May 26, 2009

Read all about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translation
Translation is the interpreting of the meaning of a text and etc, etc

Here are some other possibilities for the essay:
there are 'initials and finals' in phonology ...
and commas, colons, semicolons and full stops ...

[Edited at 2009-05-26 06:12 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

the finality of translation

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search