Clarification needed. Commonly used sentence from agreement.
Thread poster: Michael Zapuskalov

Michael Zapuskalov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:26
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 4, 2009

Preamble
Concerning embedded open source, copyleft, or community source code

Complete sentence: The Company has not embedded any open source, copyleft, or community source code in any of its products, including, but not limited to, any libraries or code licensed under any General Public License, Lesser General Public License, or similar license arrangement.

This phrase occurs throughout a number of agreements without any changes.
It can be checked by googling "open source, copyleft, or community source code" -kudoz

The chosen variant: The company didn't utilize open source, community source code and didn't declare permission to copy in either of its products (source: "Компания не использовала открытый код, общедоступный исходный код и не указывала разрешение на копирование ни в одном своем продукте...")

Note: I can't make head or tail of how *declaration of permission to copy* appeared in the middle of enumeration.icon_confused.gif

My variant: In this sentence they wants to say that in either of its products (in the firmware of its products) there is no built-in programs that include code with the status of open source, copyleft, or community source code. (source: Компания не встраивала какой-либо открытый, с отсутствующим авторским правом или общественный исходный код в любые из своих продуктов, включая, но не ограничиваясь...)

For the sake of accuracy I would like to point out that the term *copyleft* was translated by me as *with missing copyright* = it has no copyright. Though now I consider that it means something (e.g. code) that is free for modifying and other usage only with one condition - all such derivatives must be free from copyright.

Question:
What does this phrase means and which variant is more close (if any)?

This is my first topic on ProZ. Be charitable to any slips.icon_wink.gif

Irene McClure
Local time: 05:26
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Try Kudos? Jun 4, 2009

Hi Michael

You might get more replies if you post this as a Russian to English Kudos question, or indeed English to English if it is the meaning of the English text you are having difficulties with.

Sorry I can't help!

Good luck,

savtrad

Michael Zapuskalov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:26
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for a hint. Jun 4, 2009

And here it is:
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/English/law:_patents_trademarks_copyright/3284900-embedded_any_open_source_copyleft_or_community_source_code_in_any_of.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Clarification needed. Commonly used sentence from agreement.

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search