https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/138001-institution_names.html

Institution Names
Thread poster: Jack White
Jack White
Jack White
Local time: 12:56
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jun 18, 2009

Hello,

I am currently doing a translation for the School of Management at my university and I wondered if someone could give me some advice on the translation of the names of institutions.

The text is a questionnaire and the particular question concerns the membership of professional institutions. The options given are currently all in English (American Society of Civil Engineers, British Academy of Management) etc. I am translating the text into Portuguese, so do I tra
... See more
Hello,

I am currently doing a translation for the School of Management at my university and I wondered if someone could give me some advice on the translation of the names of institutions.

The text is a questionnaire and the particular question concerns the membership of professional institutions. The options given are currently all in English (American Society of Civil Engineers, British Academy of Management) etc. I am translating the text into Portuguese, so do I translate the names or leave them as they are? The one Brazilian institution obviously has a given name in Portuguese but the others don't.

I assume, however, that if one was a member of any of the societies that one would be aware of the English name as they function in English.

Any advice on the matter would be gladly received!

Regards
Jack
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 23:56
Chinese to English
Suggestions: consider asking advice from Portuguese-speaking peers, or posting as KudoZ questions. Jun 21, 2009

Hello Jack

I suggest you ask this question at the Portuguese Forum or post the names as English->Portuguese KudoZ questions. Hope this helps.

Lesley
http://www.proz.com/forum/portuguese-28.html

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:56
German to English
+ ...
Given name in Portuguese or leave in English Jun 22, 2009

Translating from German to English, I usually use the English given name for a particular institution, if there is one. If there isn't, I leave the German name and put an English translation in parentheses after the German designation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Institution Names

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »