Off topic: Translating the word "bully" (as a noun or verb) in an educational context (schools) into French
Thread poster: Estelle Demontrond-Box

Estelle Demontrond-Box  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 22:05
English to French
+ ...
Jul 17, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I was wondering if any of you had been faced with the problem of having to translate the word "bully". We can find all sorts of translations for it (brute, tyran, petit dur) but I have found it hard to come up with a faithful translation of this word so often used in English.

Have any of you got any suggestion or insight?

Thank you for your help

Estelle

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 08:05
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Intimidateur Jul 17, 2009

Selon ma fille de 9 ans qui vient d'étudier cela à l'école.

But isn`t this a KudoZ question?

Nancy

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:05
English to Arabic
+ ...
Looks like a perfectly valid Kudoz question to me Jul 17, 2009

icon_smile.gif

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:05
English to French
+ ...
I agree Jul 17, 2009

I agree with the term Nancy proposes - and I also agree with Nesrin's suggestion.icon_wink.gif

The term proposed by Nancy will most likely come out on top, but it can't hurt to see what KudoZ contributors can come up with. A great occasion once again to learn something!

Estelle Demontrond-Box  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 22:05
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Taken your advice Jul 17, 2009

Thank you all. I have followed your advice and it is now a KUDOZ question.
I know that this has been asked several times but I am still hoping for some new interesting suggestion. Apparently, "intimidateur" is becoming trendy... Beurkicon_wink.gif
Thank you all!

George Trail  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:05
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
What is "bully" to you, anyway? Apr 11, 2010

I was bullied when I was at school, as were Paul Potts, Shirley Manson, and Susan Boyle to name a few. But I learned to get over it - this might start to happen when you realise that you would never have guessed that they look up to someone that you also look up to. Just an idea. But I saw this blog and just had to post this link...

http://bullywords.blogspot.com/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating the word "bully" (as a noun or verb) in an educational context (schools) into French

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search