Need help with text on Mexican [i]jurisprudencia[/i].
Thread poster: patyjs
patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 22, 2009

I'm having trouble with this paragraph and wondered if anyone out there would care to comment on my attempt. Here's the text (the middle of the second paragraph is the part I'm struggling with):

Para la doctrina mexicana la jurisprudencia tiene las mismas características que la legislación, salvo la obligatoriedad, se dice que la ley obliga a todos y la jurisprudencia sólo obliga a los tribunales inferiores en el caso de la jurisprudencia de la Suprema Corte de Justicia de la Na
... See more
I'm having trouble with this paragraph and wondered if anyone out there would care to comment on my attempt. Here's the text (the middle of the second paragraph is the part I'm struggling with):

Para la doctrina mexicana la jurisprudencia tiene las mismas características que la legislación, salvo la obligatoriedad, se dice que la ley obliga a todos y la jurisprudencia sólo obliga a los tribunales inferiores en el caso de la jurisprudencia de la Suprema Corte de Justicia de la Nación y los Tribunales Colegiados, tratándose de la jurisprudencia del Tribunal Electoral del Poder Judicial de la Federación obliga, además de los tribunales, a las autoridad administrativas locales y federales.

En este punto analizaremos si la diferencia señalada en el párrafo anterior es relevante, ya que la doctrina no se pregunta si puede existir una identidad en ambas instituciones, y el riesgo que ello conlleva, si existiera identidad sería aceptar que los jueces pueden legislar, nosotros para criticar dicha conclusión utilizaremos como paradigma a Hart, para quien esta diferencia realmente no tiene importancia, ya que el papel de los jueces en la creación de la regla reconocimiento es fundamental.

Here's my draft of the second paragraph:

At this point we will analyze whether the difference described in the above paragraph is relevant given that the doctrine does not question whether one identity can exist in both institutions, and the risk that that incurs, should identity exist, would be to accept that judges can legislate. To criticize that conclusion we will use Hart as a paradigm, to whom this difference is of little importance, since the role of the judges in the creation of the recognition rule is fundamental.

Thank you so much.

[Edited at 2009-07-22 15:33 GMT]
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 04:50
Chinese to English
How about trying something else ... Jul 23, 2009

hello patyjs
No reply here so far. My suggestion, find the Spanish linguists directly -> try KudoZ or the Spanish Forum ...
Lesley

PS. Something to do with the role of judges in forming 'case law', is it? It is something to do with the doctrine of 'the separation of powers', I think (?) (Just guessing, I know nothing about Spanish/Mexican law, and 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing'.) Have you tried 'bilingual googling' for the tricky terms? L

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
IMLO Jul 24, 2009

I think "identidad" here is a noun for identical

According to Javier Becerra

identidad = 2) equivalence, equivalency, equality, analogy, approximation, likeness resemblance, sameness, unity,duplication, harmony, correspondence, alikeness, comparability, similarity, similitude, parallelism, uniformity.

At this point we will analyze whether the difference described in the above paragraph is relevant given that the doctrine does not question whether bot
... See more
I think "identidad" here is a noun for identical

According to Javier Becerra

identidad = 2) equivalence, equivalency, equality, analogy, approximation, likeness resemblance, sameness, unity,duplication, harmony, correspondence, alikeness, comparability, similarity, similitude, parallelism, uniformity.

At this point we will analyze whether the difference described in the above paragraph is relevant given that the doctrine does not question whether both institutions are identical and the risk that that incurs, should they be identical would be to accept that judges can legislate. To criticize that conclusion we will use Hart as a paradigm, to whom this difference is of little importance, since the role of the judges in the creation of the recognition rule is fundamental.

You probably got the right answer hours ago while I was too busy working. But I hope this is of use, Paty.

PS You write beautifully
Collapse

patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, probably wrong forum. Jul 24, 2009

The question was too broad to be posted in Kudoz, I felt, but yes Lai An, I probably should have used the Spanish forum.

Lesley, thanks for your input. Thinking about it I'm sure you're right about it being "identical"... that would make sense. Unfortunately, the translation has already gone back so I wasn't able to make the change.

Many thanks also for your kind comment. You just made my day!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help with text on Mexican [i]jurisprudencia[/i].

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »