Gemma Sanza Porcar  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:40
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
Aug 27, 2009

Hello everybody,

I have just received the following announcement I paste here for your interest:

Exploring Translation Theories, by Anthony Pym, should be published by Routledge this September.

It will hopefully be useful as a textbook for advanced courses on Western translation theories.

Contents:

1. What is a translation theory?
2. Natural
... See more
Hello everybody,

I have just received the following announcement I paste here for your interest:

Exploring Translation Theories, by Anthony Pym, should be published by Routledge this September.

It will hopefully be useful as a textbook for advanced courses on Western translation theories.

Contents:

1. What is a translation theory?
2. Natural equivalence
3. Directional equivalence
4. Purposes
5. Descriptions
6. Uncertainty
7. Localization
8.Cultural translation.

Postscript – Write your own theory Short video lectures (of variable quality) accompany the book and are freely available on Facebook (look for Exploring Translation Theories) and here:

http://www.tinet.org/~apym/publications/ETT/index

Discussion of the book and the videos is also welcome on Facebook.

Enjoy it!

Hugs,

Gemma
Collapse

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Aug 28, 2009

Hola Gemma,

It seems people are all very busy and no one (who may be interested in this kind of topic) has had the time to thank you for posting this interesting information here in this forum, so let me volunteer to thank you in the name of everyone else.

I just visited the website and decided to listen to/view one of the videos in which Anthony Pym talks about Descriptive Translation Studies (DTS).
... See more
Hola Gemma,

It seems people are all very busy and no one (who may be interested in this kind of topic) has had the time to thank you for posting this interesting information here in this forum, so let me volunteer to thank you in the name of everyone else.

I just visited the website and decided to listen to/view one of the videos in which Anthony Pym talks about Descriptive Translation Studies (DTS).

Interesting, though, as I commented in another thread in the Spanish forum, amazing how some of these studies become so intensely "deep" about a work (translation) that after years of daily routine on this can sometimes seem so "simple".

I guess it happens the same with everything, since we take for granted the physics, the chemistry, the engineering, etc. in our daily lives, without stopping to think that actually there are very complex processes taking place when, for example, we lift a grocery bag, or mix certain ingredients when cooking, etc. So the same applies to translation, which also has its own complex scientific studies and approach.

About Mr. Pym in particular, funny I was just reading this week an essay by him, "Redefining Translation Competence in an Electronic Age. In Defence of a Minimalist Approach", for a translation-related comment/article I want to publish in my blog.

Anyway, as far as I am concerned, it is always great when someone takes the time to share this kind of information.

Have a great weekend,

Ivette
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anthony Pym - New book on Translation Theories

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »