Building a new glossary (in excel)
Thread poster: Annett Hieber

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:33
English to German
Aug 27, 2009

Dear All,

As I have built a number of very different glossaries over the years and am about to build a new one, I would like to know what types of categories you use in yours. BTW, I am speaking of excel glossaries. This would surely also be interesting to newbies to our trade.

I tend to keep them relatively simple, that is mostly the target word, source word, context (either an explanation or an example) and the source (where the translated term comes from). Of course, it also depends on the subject field for which this glossary is meant. I assume you could also insert photos/pictures for some technical areas for example.

Furthermore, it would be interesting to know if you prefer to build client- or subject-related glossaries and how large they are (average).

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Direct link Reply with quote

Marco Cevoli  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:33
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Useful link Aug 29, 2009

I suggest you to take a look at and see which fields they are currently using. It would be a good idea if you could create your glossaries keeping in mind future compatibility with industry standards (such as TBX).

Marco Cevoli

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Building a new glossary (in excel)

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

• All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search