Latin-American vs Spanish translation market (or on the contrary)
Thread poster: Pablo Bouvier

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:59
German to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 16, 2009

How do you believe that the "into spanish" translation market of Latin-America influences on the "into spanish" translation market in Spain? I would like to state very clear that my intention is not to begin an opinion war, but to know how we meet respectively from one and another side of the Atlantic.

[Editado a las 2009-09-16 14:14 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxAguas de Mar
From the economic point of view Sep 16, 2009

I am not sure I understood your question completely but, in my experience and from the economic point of view, the Latin American market has an increasingly strong influence on the "into Spanish" translation market due to a very simple reason: there are over 350 million Spanish speakers in Latin America (not counting Spanish speakers in the US), against around 45 million Spanish speakers in Spain. The Latin American market thus being much more attractive than the European one (this, of course, until the client realizes that he/she has to localize into several different Spanish variations in Latin America ).

[Edited at 2009-09-16 17:07 GMT]

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:59
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Latin-American vs Spanish translation market (or on the contrary) Sep 16, 2009

Aguas de Marco wrote:

I am not sure I understood your question completely but, in my experience and from the economic point of view, the Latin American market has an increasingly strong influence on the "into Spanish" translation market due to a very simple reason: there are over 350 million Spanish speakers in Latin America (not counting Spanish speakers in the US), against around 45 million Spanish speakers in Spain. The Latin American market thus being much more attractive than the European one (this, of course, until the client realizes that he/she has to localize into several different Spanish variations in Latin America

Yes, you understood me quite well. This is what i was asking about.

And, when the client realise that he has to localize into several different Spanish variations in Latin America, do you think it goes back to castillian spanish or it makes the effort to localize into the spanish variants of the destination markets?

xxxAguas de Mar
It depends... Sep 16, 2009

... on their budgets and their understanding of the different markets.

Some clients have immediately grasped the importance of localizing, and have modified whatever they need to modify in order to present their clients with a product that satisfies all their needs, including language variations. Ad campaigns of big corporations are almost always localized to fit each and every market.

Others have to make a compromise due to money constraints or just plain stubbornness. To my mind come a lot of US movies that used to be dubbed in Mexican Spanish for distribution in all of Latin America (I would doubt very much that it would ever cross their minds to use Castillian Spanish, though). However, recently, I have heard of movies dubbed into at least Mexican and Argentinean Spanish.

Since people who speak Spanish in the US come from many countries, an attempt has been made to produce a "neutral" or "international" Spanish, with more or less success. This type of effort could probably work for some products, in some countries, but I believe that companies who know the value of their clients and their business will always try to localize (which, in the long run, is never that expensive).

[Edited at 2009-09-17 02:28 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Latin-American vs Spanish translation market (or on the contrary)

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search