Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Which will be your CAT tool of choice right now?
Thread poster: Pablo Bouvier
Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:55
French to German
+ ...
Thanks... Sep 21, 2009

for making the suggested changes in your poll, Pablo! I have voted just before posting this message.

[Edited at 2009-09-21 10:03 GMT]

juvigne
juvigne
Wordfast and Lingo 4.0 Sep 21, 2009

For the last couple of years I have been using Wordfast alongside Lingo 4.0 terminology management software (more versatile and powerful the wordfast's built in terminology functions)

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:55
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Where are OmegaT, Anaphraseus, other tools? Sep 21, 2009

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

I've notice that DV users are extremelly satisfied with their tool, the same as Swordfish users, or OmegaT...

I am an OmegaT user extremely satisfied with this program, doing up to 90% of my jobs with it, and also quite satisfied with Anaphraseus. But why aren’t they present in the poll? As well as a couple of other tools such as BTT Translator, AidTrans Studio, WordFisher etc. With such a limited choice of answers, what’s the use of this poll?

I also use Wordfast Classic, have tried Trados and DejaVu X, but the latter two are overkills for my needs.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A very fragmented market Sep 21, 2009

WOW. Thank you Pablo for proposing this. It is amazing to see how many different tools exist and how many people are pleased with their tool. It clearly reveals how differently each of us can work.

I am now most curious to know what tools are used by people in my market segment: big technical translations with lots of translation memory and terminology use. For those of you who work in this market, what is your tool of choice?

Elena Aleksandrova
Elena Aleksandrova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 09:55
Member (2009)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Trados 2007 Freelance Sep 21, 2009

Thats my choice. 99% of my projects are done in Trados, 1% in MS Office. I've never used another CAT tool (because I've never been asked).

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which will be your CAT tool of choice right now? Sep 21, 2009

esperantisto wrote:

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

I've notice that DV users are extremelly satisfied with their tool, the same as Swordfish users, or OmegaT...

I am an OmegaT user extremely satisfied with this program, doing up to 90% of my jobs with it, and also quite satisfied with Anaphraseus. But why aren’t they present in the poll? As well as a couple of other tools such as BTT Translator, AidTrans Studio, WordFisher etc. With such a limited choice of answers, what’s the use of this poll?

I also use Wordfast Classic, have tried Trados and DejaVu X, but the latter two are overkills for my needs.

Now you can vote for OmegaT and Anaphraseus too, as I stated in my post before at this same thread

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
Which format? Sep 21, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I am now most curious to know what tools are used by people in my market segment: big technical translations with lots of translation memory and terminology use. For those of you who work in this market, what is your tool of choice?

Hi Tomás,
which is the format you are most commonly required to use? And how big is big? I think I can say I also work in this market segment, but size et al. are relative.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What I meant... Sep 21, 2009

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Hi Tomás,
which is the format you are most commonly required to use? And how big is big? I think I can say I also work in this market segment, but size et al. are relative.

My average size is some 10K words, but jobs can range from 1K to 100K words. The file type is not relevant here. Of course most of my customers use Trados' TTX files, but what matters is the source document formats, which are mostly XML, FrameMaker, InDesign, and Word files.

I ask about this just in case I am wrong in my impression that most professionals using less-frequent tools work with smaller projects. If I am wrong, please let me know!

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
wordfast 5 Sep 21, 2009

wordfast 5

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which will be your CAT tool of choice right now?" Sep 21, 2009

WOW. Thank you Pablo for proposing this. It is amazing to see how many different tools exist and how many people are pleased with their tool. It clearly reveals how differently each of us can work.

Hi, Tomás: I believe that I do not have have understood your question
Are CAT-tools used for anything more than to translate repetitive texts, to say, more or less extensive technical texts?

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which will be your CAT tool of choice right now? (Poll location) Sep 21, 2009

Poll location: http://www.doodle.com/c7gr9nurhxipiurq

This post is only to remember were the poll has been hosted, if you want to vote for a CAT_tool.

Eric Hahn (X)
Eric Hahn (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Wordfast Pro Sep 21, 2009

My choice is a platform independant stand alone application like Wordfast Pro.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
Interesting... Sep 21, 2009

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

Poll location: http://www.doodle.com/c7gr9nurhxipiurq

from what can be seen as per now (02:50 PM CEDT), there would no reason for any "outsider" to believe that SDL Trados is the de facto standard in the translation industry...

[Edited at 2009-09-21 12:57 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
U-turn Sep 21, 2009

I ask about this just in case I am wrong in my impression that most professionals using less-frequent tools work with smaller projects. If I am wrong, please let me know!

Up to now, and due to the fact that most translations I had to do were in Word, I used Wordfast Classic most of the time. Other CAT tools (Trados) were used only upon request or because of specific formats (.INX or .PHP, for example) and regardless of the size of the job.

[Edited at 2009-09-21 17:45 GMT]

Boris Sigalov
Boris Sigalov
English to Russian
Deja Vu & MemoQ Sep 21, 2009

99% of my projects are done in Trados, 1% in MS Office. I've never used another CAT tool (because I've never been asked).

A little bit strange position: I use TM CAT tools (as well as other tools) not because I'm asked for that but because I personally like to work with them and my choice is Deja Vu & MemoQ.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which will be your CAT tool of choice right now?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »