Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Which will be your CAT tool of choice right now?
Thread poster: Pablo Bouvier
Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:26
German to English
Market segment is important Sep 21, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I am now most curious to know what tools are used by people in my market segment: big technical translations with lots of translation memory and terminology use. For those of you who work in this market, what is your tool of choice?

The choice of a tool depends a lot on the translator's market position. Translators with clients interested only in the final product have a lot more freedom when it comes to employing a CAT tool. Translators engaged in collaborative endeavors or engaged in ongoing projects involving multiple translators over time (usually agency-related jobs) frequently find themselves compelled to use a specified product. There seems to be a trend among large German companies to move to server-based systems (Across) in which documents/projects are "checked out," returned to the server where they are retrieved by a second translator/checker for additional processing. The advantages to this approach lie with the client, obviously.

I don't have time for work-arounds. An hour spent pre-processing and another half hour post-processing a file in order to meet a client's CAT specification is uncompensated time, in my opinion. Until recently I employed Brother Lossner's "Round trip" method, using Trados/SDL products to set up a file, translating it in DVX, then verifying again in the respective Trados/SDL product. The time involved was usually minimal -- unless there was a problem. MemoQ's versatility allows me to import a TagEditor file, translate it using a more user-friendly tool and deliver a finished product meeting the client's CAT specification -- no gyrations involved. The client thus receives a bilingual file as specified, and I don't have to worry about post-processing the file. Moving Workbench TMs into MemoQ via TMX is relatively painless and takes very little time.

Currently, my tool of choice remains DVX, with MemoQ a close second. For me, however, there are tasks for which using Trados/SDL products are unavoidable.

Eric Hahn (X)
Eric Hahn (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:26
French to German
+ ...
Choice of tools Sep 22, 2009

Kevin Fulton wrote:
The choice of a tool depends a lot on the translator's market position. Translators with clients interested only in the final product have a lot more freedom when it comes to employing a CAT tool. Translators engaged in collaborative endeavors or engaged in ongoing projects involving multiple translators over time (usually agency-related jobs) frequently find themselves compelled to use a specified product. There seems to be a trend among large German companies to move to server-based systems (Across) in which documents/projects are "checked out," returned to the server where they are retrieved by a second translator/checker for additional processing. The advantages to this approach lie with the client, obviously.

This means:

There are master tools (designed for LSPs) and slave tools (designed for freelancers) ! And also some tools in between...

[Modifié le 2009-09-22 12:42 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Direct client seeking advice Sep 22, 2009

I have one direct client who sought advice as per alternative possibilities - I told them that translating a manual directly in INDD would be a nightmare and offered to use TagEditor, which they accepted.
So imho, the text to be translated may be call for a specific software - lucky for us if we have that software at hand.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which will be your CAT tool of choice right now?" Sep 22, 2009

Poll location: http://www.doodle.com/c7gr9nurhxipiurq

This post is only to remember were the poll has been hosted, if you want to vote for a CAT_tool.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And the winner is... ;-)) Oct 1, 2009

As no more post nor voters have been publishing anything more about the poll since a prudential time, I will close it. Here are the results until today:

CAT Tool Voters %

Atril Déjà Vu 16 21,92
Wordfast Classic 14 19,18
TWB Freelance Edition 9 12,33
Swordfish 11 15,07
MemoQ 7 9,59
Wordfast Pro 4 5,48
SDL X 2007 4 5,48
OmegaT3 3 4,11
SDL Trados Studio 2009 2
... See more
As no more post nor voters have been publishing anything more about the poll since a prudential time, I will close it. Here are the results until today:

CAT Tool Voters %

Atril Déjà Vu 16 21,92
Wordfast Classic 14 19,18
TWB Freelance Edition 9 12,33
Swordfish 11 15,07
MemoQ 7 9,59
Wordfast Pro 4 5,48
SDL X 2007 4 5,48
OmegaT3 3 4,11
SDL Trados Studio 2009 2 2,74
Heartsome 2 2,74
MetaTexis 1 1,37
Across 0 0,00
Star Transit XV 0 0,00
Star Tranxit NXT 0 0,00
Anaphraseus 0 0,00

Total 73 100,00

[Editado a las 2009-10-01 17:57 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which will be your CAT tool of choice right now?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »