How do I convert PDF files into RTF/DOC?
Thread poster: Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)
Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:14
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 30, 2003

Dear colleagues:
I apologize in advance if this issue has been raised in the past.
Is there a way to convert a pdf file into preferably a word file, without affecting the file's formatting?
Thanks in advance for all your replies.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

souzanel
Local time: 16:14
English to Portuguese
PDF => DOC Sep 30, 2003

Is there a way to convert a pdf file into preferably a word file, without affecting the file's formatting?


Yes, use ScanSoft Omnipage Pro 11.0

Hugo Melo


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:14
German to Polish
+ ...
This topic Sep 30, 2003

has been discussed so many times, that you really could check earlier postings.
We cannot discusse all the time on such a simple question, like pdf convertion.

Regards
Andrzej


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Brenda, you can have a look at : Sep 30, 2003

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=89189



[Edited at 2003-09-30 16:26]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 20:14
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

MODERATOR
Full Acrobat, Gemini etc Sep 30, 2003

Dear Brenda,

I have used Gemini 2,0 (search Google) but since I started using Acrobat 4 and 5 I anly use Acrobat, which gives a better result.
Acrobat also have other valuable tools, so I recommend that rather than Gemini.

BR

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com
http://www.proz.com/Pro/1749
(Proz.com moderator (deu>swe))
Träsk 201
SE-872 97 Skog
Schweden/Sweden/Suède/Suecia
Tel:+46-612-54112 Fax:+46-612-54181 Mobile:+46-70-5769797


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Carlos Moreno  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 14:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
OCR Sep 30, 2003

Adobe Reader, the latest reincarnation of the Adobe Acrobat reader, can convert unprotected text in PDF files into plain text, and copy it into the clipboard, or into a plain text file.

If you really want to extract formatted text from PDF files, you should either use Adobe Acrobat full edition, or one of the latest OCR packages, such as Omnipage or ABBYY Finereader.

Make a search for these terms in the search box at the lower left portion of the ProZ page, or got to the corresponding pages in the web (you can ask Mr. Google for help).


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:14
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all your replies to my inquiry Sep 30, 2003

Dear colleagues:
Thanks for all your patience and promptness to an issue that might have been discussed numerous times in the past. However, when someone is in a hurry to get an answer, sorting through 5 or 6 pages of topics are not exactly a very feasible solution.
Thanks again for all your help.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Joop Fraikin  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:14
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Do you think Is Omnipage is better than Gemini? Sep 30, 2003

I use Gemini every now and then. When I choose "retain lay out" the result is a Word file laid out more or less like the pdf file, but the text does not flow normally because every single paragraph is put in a box. Does Omnipage do that too?

souzanel wrote:

Is there a way to convert a pdf file into preferably a word file, without affecting the file's formatting?


Yes, use ScanSoft Omnipage Pro 11.0

Hugo Melo


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
PDF to Word Converter and Solo Sep 30, 2003

Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation) wrote:

Dear colleagues:
I apologize in advance if this issue has been raised in the past.
Is there a way to convert a pdf file into preferably a word file, without affecting the file's formatting?
Thanks in advance for all your replies.


PDF to Word Converter - $49.00
ScanSoft PDF Converter instantly converts PDF files into Microsoft Word documents that look just like the original - complete with all formatting and graphics! Information is set free - free to be edited and free to be integrated into your documents. Your organization will reach new levels of productivity by leveraging the power of Microsoft Word to edit and collaborate with PDF files. Best of all, because it is a plug-in, PDF Converter gives you superior speed and ease of use from within your favorite applications - Word, Outlook, Windows Explorer, and Internet Explorer.

http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry17c?CID=85225&SID=61&SP=10007&PN=5&PID=599426&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=85225

Gemini Solo with International Pack can convert Chinese PDF text into Microsoft Word file accurately: $159.00

http://www.pdfstore.com/details.asp?ProdID=558


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
SS PDF converter Sep 30, 2003

Libin, Ph.D. wrote:
PDF to Word Converter - $49.00
ScanSoft PDF Converter instantly converts PDF files into Microsoft Word documents that look just like the original - complete with all formatting and graphics! Information is set free - free to be edited and free to be integrated into your documents. Your organization will reach new levels of productivity by leveraging the power of Microsoft Word to edit and collaborate with PDF files. Best of all, because it is a plug-in, PDF Converter gives you superior speed and ease of use from within your favorite applications - Word, Outlook, Windows Explorer, and Internet Explorer.

http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry17c?CID=85225&SID=61&SP=10007&PN=5&PID=599426&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=85225


Hi Libin,
Do you know if ScanSoft PFD converter also converts graphic .pdf files? I'll explain: my client (a bit old-fashioned and not practical at all) scans the pages (that might have been written with any word processor or even with a typewriter!) and saves them as .pdf. So I don't have any editable text, not even with Acrobat (full version). So I use Omnipage to recognise it and get it into word. As it's not a new version, I have to convert the pdf into png, bmp or jpeg first, so I'd like to avoid this step.
Hope I was clear!!
Grace.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:14
German to English
+ ...
This topic Oct 1, 2003

Andrzej Lejman wrote:
has been discussed so many times, that you really could check earlier postings.
Andrzej


Agreed. Perhaps someone could document it, for example in a HowTo.

Marc


Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Graciela , ScanSoft PFD converter also converts graphic Oct 1, 2003

Their demos look good. You may have a check at: http://www.scansoft.com/pdfconverter/demo/

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

Hi Libin,
Do you know if ScanSoft PFD converter also converts graphic .pdf files? I'll explain: my client (a bit old-fashioned and not practical at all) scans the pages (that might have been written with any word processor or even with a typewriter!) and saves them as .pdf. So I don't have any editable text, not even with Acrobat (full version). So I use Omnipage to recognise it and get it into word. As it's not a new version, I have to convert the pdf into png, bmp or jpeg first, so I'd like to avoid this step.
Hope I was clear!!
Grace.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
not sure Oct 1, 2003

Thanks Chance,

Yes, I was looking at the demos and they looked good, but then I realised that the pdf's are proper pdf's and not graphic.
I mean you can edit the text in them so the pdf converter converts the editable pdf text into word text and the graphics into graphics.
BUT, my files are saved as pdf's but they behave as bmp (text is not editable at all, as if it was handwritten).
The truth is that I don't think I can do it any other way than processing it with a good OCR program.
Anyway, to make it short, I just upgraded to ScanSoft OmniPage Pro 12 that can handle more files formats than my SE version and it's got IntelliTrans to improve recognition.
Hope it saves me a bit more time!!

Grace.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
BTW...for Omnipage 12 Oct 1, 2003

I found this link with a discount voucher

Save $50 on OmniPage Pro 12 and Receive a Free Gift.

http://www.corel.com/enewsletter/september2k2.htm

Click Ctrl+F and search for Omni to find the offer.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Syed Nasim uz Zaman  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:44
English to Assamese
+ ...
PDF file to Word file Oct 8, 2003

Please install AcrobatPDFWriter printer driver in your computer.You will be able to copy and paste the content to a Word file then.Rest is now easy just save it as per your requirement,either as a Word file or as an RTF file.
Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation) wrote:

Dear colleagues:
I apologize in advance if this issue has been raised in the past.
Is there a way to convert a pdf file into preferably a word file, without affecting the file's formatting?
Thanks in advance for all your replies.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I convert PDF files into RTF/DOC?

Advanced search







SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search