Translating a rock biography...translation theory
Thread poster: Antonio M

Antonio M
Local time: 23:59
Sep 24, 2009

Hi everybody, I'm translating into italian some bits of a Pearl Jam's biography for my graduation thesis. A commentary on translation choices is required, so I could use some translation theory...

Any advice?...Authors?...Articles in the web?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

nruddy  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:59
German to English
Read others Sep 24, 2009

I don't know what translation theory would apply, but it would perhaps be useful to read some other well-written rock biographies if you have to comment on the quality/style of the source text in a subsequent analysis. Two examples that I found good are Mick Wall's biography of Iron Maiden and Metallica: This Monster Lives: The Inside Story of Some Kind of Monster by Joe Berlinger. I read a biography of Bruce Dickinson that was basically the author constantly saying how great Bruce - a waste of time.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:59
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sorry if there's something I've missed here, but... Sep 24, 2009

...if you have to comment on translation choices in your essay, you're presumably studying for a degree in a translation related area. I would then assume you've studied translation theory to some degree, right? If so, I suggest applying what you've learnt when writing your thesis - that's sort of the idea behind writing a thesis at the end of your studies.

Edited for typo.

[Edited at 2009-09-24 18:41 GMT]

Antonio M
Local time: 23:59
TOPIC STARTER
You're right but... Sep 25, 2009

Yes, of course I've studied translation theory and I already have some ideas for the commentary. Yet suggestions are always well accepted, especially by persons a lot more skilled than me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating a rock biography...translation theory

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search