https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/149408-how_to_consolidate_your_old_tms.html

How to consolidate your old TMs?
Thread poster: Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 29, 2009

Hi

Throughout the years I've gathered a lot of TMs in different programs, Wordfast, Trados and currently DejaVu. Some of them classified by date, others by language, or by client, by subject or by project number.

But now it's time to clean up my old files, consolidate all of them and create a corpus. It's a huge job, and I don´t know how to start. Any ideas?

Regards,

Edwal

Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)
Marek Daroszewski (MrMarDar)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
How I've done it Oct 29, 2009

First, I decided on a simple common format for all TMs. I went for text only (unicode) as it is easy to manage with a range of text editors.

Second, having converted TMs into text only format I put them in language specific folders. In my case it was PL-EN and EN-PL. I double checked that all files were in the relevant language pair.

Third, I made one directory... ehm folder, for the consolidated PL-EN TM and one for consolidated EN-PL TM.

Now, I though i
... See more
First, I decided on a simple common format for all TMs. I went for text only (unicode) as it is easy to manage with a range of text editors.

Second, having converted TMs into text only format I put them in language specific folders. In my case it was PL-EN and EN-PL. I double checked that all files were in the relevant language pair.

Third, I made one directory... ehm folder, for the consolidated PL-EN TM and one for consolidated EN-PL TM.

Now, I though it would be easiest to append each TM to the previous one (like TM1 + TM2 + TM...), creating one BTM (big translation memory), then sort the BTM, get rid of repetitions (two or more TUs with identical source AND target segments), sort BTM and voila - get one consolidated TM. Regretfully, no text editor I could get hold of could manage the resulting file. One word of explanation - the TMs I had were to a large extent copies of the same TM (long story why...).

Anyway, I copied my TM1 and TM2 into the folder for consolidated TM, appended TM2 at the end of TM1 text file into one text file (BTM), sorted the text file, removed repetitions, and got the first consolidated BTM. Then I deleted TM1 and TM2 from the consolidation folder. This procedure was repeated for other TMs, i.e. TM3, TM4...

The biggest problem I had was to keep track which TMs have been already merged into the BTM. At what stage was the BTM - which TM have I added last, has BTM been sorted, or not, etc. A spreadsheet solved the problem.

The text editor I used for sorting was Ultraedit Pro.
The program used for removing repetitions was Wordfast.

HTH
Marek
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Good ol' Big Mama Oct 29, 2009

Although the "Big Mama" approach (each and everything gathered in one big TM) might sound outdated to some, I still use it and it still boosts my productivity. I don't even want to think of searching for a translation from years ago in multiple TMs, and many CATs are limited in the number of TMs you can use simultaneously (Deja Vu Professional only allows 2).

But since you are using Deja Vu, what would speak against importing everything you have got into one big TM and make sure th
... See more
Although the "Big Mama" approach (each and everything gathered in one big TM) might sound outdated to some, I still use it and it still boosts my productivity. I don't even want to think of searching for a translation from years ago in multiple TMs, and many CATs are limited in the number of TMs you can use simultaneously (Deja Vu Professional only allows 2).

But since you are using Deja Vu, what would speak against importing everything you have got into one big TM and make sure that all the attributes (file names, dates, project names etc.) are imported with it? You would always have at least a rough idea about what comes from where. You could use this TM as your TM nr. 2 in DVX or even make it your main TM.
Collapse

Paulo Eduardo -  Pro Knowledge
Paulo Eduardo - Pro Knowledge  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:23
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
have you tried Olifant? Oct 30, 2009

I downloaded Olifant. It imports exports edits etc. IT's FREE..

Olifant-R00022

Good Luck!!

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks by the advice... Oct 30, 2009

Now it's time to start.

Regards,

Edwal

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to consolidate your old TMs?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »